Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Vienna Lager suggestions...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2012, 09:58 PM   #1
Grinch
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Vienna Lager suggestions...

goint to be brewing my first lager and was going to try to keep it real simple.

5 gallon batch
10lb vienna malt
.75lb crystal II (65l I'm told)

1oz tettnanger 60min

German lager yeast wlp830

This sound okay?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 10:10 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4272 Times on 3112 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Yes! Sounds great. I'd consider reducing the crystal a bit to .5 pound, and making sure the IBUs are right about 25. I love Vienna lager!

Old 11-18-2012, 11:54 PM   #3
BigEd
Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinch View Post
goint to be brewing my first lager and was going to try to keep it real simple.

5 gallon batch
10lb vienna malt
.75lb crystal II (65l I'm told)

1oz tettnanger 60min

German lager yeast wlp830

This sound okay?

An under-appreciated style and like Yooper it's one of my favorites. If you want input I'd use a half pound of CaraHell or CaraPils instead of the darker stuff. What are the IBUs from that one ounce of Tett? I's look for 20-25 in that department. If you want a little bit of hop flavor/aroma a small addition @ 20 minutes is nice.

Old 11-19-2012, 06:14 PM   #4
Grinch
Recipes 

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll see what I can find. I'm going to see if I can pick up another ounce of tettnanger (got the first oz from a local brewery). I was going to use the crystal II just because that's what I have on hand, but I'll see if the LHBS has anything else. Kinda doubtful- it's a pretty limited store.

Old 11-21-2012, 02:44 AM   #5
POAS
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I happen to be in the exact same situation. I am planning on brewing my first lager and want to brew a Viena and also keep it simple. This recipe looks like it would be perfect with the suggestions. What would the fermentation schedule look like and what would be the mash schedule for this. Any suggestions?

Old 11-21-2012, 03:06 AM   #6
POAS
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Oh, I have another question. Would a 90 min boil be requred?

Old 11-21-2012, 04:08 AM   #7
rcsoccer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by POAS View Post
Oh, I have another question. Would a 90 min boil be requred?
You don't need a 90 minute boil with Vienna unless you want it a little darker. Why not try a 100% Vienna grainbill? And, you could do a decoction to make it a little darker, if you want to torture yourself for a bit....

All kidding aside, it looks like a good recipe. And, decoctions aren't that hard and give you a really nice malty flavor.

Cheers!

Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza.
- Dave Barry

Old 11-21-2012, 07:27 AM   #8
Grinch
Recipes 

I did think of doing 100% vienna... never done the whole decoction deal... guess I'll do a little research and give that a go. you just boil the first runnings and return it to the mash or something like that?

Old 11-21-2012, 07:51 AM   #9
OCBrewin
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinch
I did think of doing 100% vienna... never done the whole decoction deal... guess I'll do a little research and give that a go. you just boil the first runnings and return it to the mash or something like that?
Im very interested in doing an all Vienna lager too. In fact, I think that you have just peaked my interest enough to brew 1 this weekend. This sounds great.

A decoction is taking a thick part of the mash, with little liquid, and boiling it before returning it to the mash to raise to a different step temperature - say, from a protein rest to a sacc rest, or Sacc rest to mashout.

Old 11-21-2012, 08:05 AM   #10
rcsoccer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinch View Post
A single decoction is the easiest to do. I did a triple decoction that took me a total of 9 hrs....

For the single decoction, just mash in at 122 F for a protein rest for about 30 mins, then pull off about 1/3 of the mash (grains included) and boil it for about 30 mins and add it back to the main mash. You need a little of the liquid of course, but you should have mostly grains. Some people like to put it through a rest at 155 for a "mini-mash" before cranking up the temp to boiling, but I don't think it is necessary. Also, you need to continually stir it to keep from scorching the grains. Using a propane burner is best. You might have to keep a little hot water around in case you miss your main mash temp, though. BeerSmith has it in the mash section and it's pretty accurate. I'm amazed at how accurate it is sometimes..... It's a little more work, but I think it is totally worth it. Take lots of pics so you can explain it to your brewing friends. I did a presentation on my triple decoction procedure for a traditional Bock and people seemed to like all the pictures and details.

Cheers!

Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza.
- Dave Barry

Quick Reply