Vienna/cascade SMaSH

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey there, I had a quick question for you. Considering your stance on doing early bittering additions and then big doses right at the end - do you find that your hop aroma/flavor fades quickly or does it stick around for a while?

I like your mindset and I want to try it with the next pale ale I do (skipping the midboil additions), but I did read some stuff on here the other day where a fellow brewer was saying that the 15,10,5 minute additions were more stable & when they had tried to just do bittering early and a big dose at the end, it was great when first tapped but some of the flavor & aroma changed and faded quickly. Have you had any similar experiences? P.S. love your blog.

I did a session beer where I only did a 60 min addition then flame out and dry hop. The hop aroma was amazing at the start, but it did fade after time (about 8-10 weeks IIRC). The thing that I did notice though, was there was not a "smooth" tranistion from the 60 min bittering addition flavors to the flameout/dry hop flavors. I seemed to taste a nice bittering charge and then nothing in the middle, then the late hops. I am going to try to make the same beer again and add just a very small addition at about ~30 min to see if that helps smooth things out

coypoo said:
I did a session beer where I only did a 60 min addition then flame out and dry hop. The hop aroma was amazing at the start, but it did fade after time (about 8-10 weeks IIRC). The thing that I did notice though, was there was not a "smooth" tranistion from the 60 min bittering addition flavors to the flameout/dry hop flavors. I seemed to taste a nice bittering charge and then nothing in the middle, then the late hops. I am going to try to make the same beer again and add just a very small addition at about ~30 min to see if that helps smooth things out

I'm going to have to agree. This beer has great bitterness and aroma, but absolutely nothing in the middle

I did a 5 gallon session version of this with 7 lb of Vienna and an ounce of Cascade each at 60 and 2 minutes. Mashed at 153 and fermented with Nottingham. Came in at 3.4% ABV and has loads of flavor. Definitely going to be a regular summer brew.

I'm still relatively new to homebrewing (this will be batch 5) and I recently discovered this awesome smash idea. I couldn't find any solid recipe on here, so estimating from other recipes I plan to use:
10-15lbs Vienna malt
3-4oz Cascade pellets

How's this rough recipe sound? I plan on using the continuous hopping technique from Yoopers dfh 60 min clone.

Sounds Awesome, tho i would do it with Amarillo lol.

Yeah. The beer ended up great, but next time I make it it's going to have more spicy hops in it. Nothing but cascade made it a little too citrusy for my taste

If you over dry hop you'll get an asston of aroma, which could be off-putting.

Old thread, I know, but they were talking about a pale ale...in which case I could not possibly disagree more with this statement^^^

I'm going to do a little smash action with some vienna and caliente hops I have in the freezer.

Does anyone have anything to report about caliente? ...never used them before

bumping an old thread, but OP never stated what yeast was used? Would this be more suitable as an ale? I've only heard about Vienna smash lagers.

Ok. So. . .

12lbs Vienna
2oz cascade 60 min
.5 oz cascade 30 min
2.5 oz cascade 10 min
2 oz cascade dry hop 7 days

Is that enough hops for the dry addition to make a nice hoppy impact?

What yeast did you use?

Also, Im going to do this ,but with 10lbs vienna and I've got a ton of whole cone Cascade hops from last year I need to use.

Was thinking of doing 3.5 oz whole cone cascade at 60, 1 oz at 20, 1.5 at 15, 2 oz at 2 and 1 oz at whirpool. Dry hop at 7 and 10 days with 2 oz at each.

yeast is gonna be BRY-97 (ive got some i need to use that's expiring) ...

Should be a decent west coast ipa...

Thoughts.?

Back