Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Victory Summer Love

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2012, 01:53 AM   #41
InityBrew
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 230 Times on 158 Posts
Likes Given: 65

Absolutely. It is close, but I couldnt get that victory crispness.. must be the water, or perhaps a different yeast

I live within ten miles, I should probably inquire...

Anyways. This recipe stands alone as an excellent beer.

I vote that g-star adds this to his recipes pull down. Definitely one of the best beers I've brewed this summer. Balanced, crisp, and delightful.

In fact, it was originally for my buddy's bachelor party weekend for our labor day trip to the mountains but I cannot stop drinking it!

Haus Of Kane

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2012, 11:45 AM   #42
g-star
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Glad to hear things are turning out well for folks.

I agree, the recipe is not a clone, but a very good beer nonetheless. The real thing is lighter in color...next time I might just go with a grain bill of Pilsner and Munich and leave out the crystal malt. Also, Victory has a signature hop flavor that I find difficult to reproduce at home. I pick it up in Prima Pils, Hop Wallop, and Summer Love. Still somewhat of a mystery to me.

Cheers!

Old 10-03-2012, 04:59 PM   #43
g-star
Recipes 

I know we're kind of past the season on this beer, but I just found this on the Victory website, and it seems to confirm the thinking of bittering/flavoring this beer with German hops, and dry-hopping with a citrusy American variety:

Quote:
Q: I am a big fan of Summer Love. Is it considered a Kolsch style Ale?
A: Summer Love is not a Kolsch style ale, though we can see why you might place it near that style. It can be classified as a “blonde ale,” which is a style permitted to display a broad range of characteristics. We feel that Summer Love Ale brings both excitement and comfort to the blonde ale category. The citrusy nose promises the excitement of an IPA, while the European hops in the middle give it earthy and comfortable familiarity. After all, blondes do have more fun.

Old 10-04-2012, 12:44 PM   #44
greyhoundbrewing
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

here are my notes from when i made this for a labor day party. the people at the party really were surprised that it was home brew and the keg was kicked rather quickly. turned out pretty good. it took a little while to come together and it was ready about a week before labor day.

23 Summer love

og 1.053
fg 1.015
abv 4.9
ibu 29
srm 4.6

bel. Pils 8lbs
Vienna 1lb
10L 12oz
cara-pils 4oz

brewers gold 0.75oz
spalt 0.5oz
hallertau 0.5oz
spalt 0.5oz
hallertau 0.5oz
saaz 1oz
spalt 1oz
brewers gold 0.25oz

us-05

step mash. 110, 120, 150, 170. Full 60min boil. Chilled to 80F. strained and set in basement

Old 10-04-2012, 01:17 PM   #45
BadWolfBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I think I might have accidentally cloned this recently. I was testing out a new brewery, and I just threw together a recipe that was meant to be an amber ale, but it turned out much lighter in color and body than I had planned. I used Hallertau for boil and flavor, and dryhopped with some amerillo I had left from a different brew. Not sure why I dry hopped, it wasn't in the original plan. I went looking for something to eat in the freezer, saw the hops, and threw them in after primary.

Anyways, just kegged it a few days ago, and it was really close to the original summer love from 2 years ago. Closer, actually, than previous attempts of mine to clone it on purpose. If anybody is interested, I'll post the recipe after work. Really nice beer (assuming it clears up, pretty cloudy still) with a heck of a lot of aroma.

Old 12-26-2012, 08:43 PM   #46
NewJersey
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 21

this was the beer that subconsciously made me want to homebrew.
first time i had it was this past summer and i am pretty sure i detected a citrusy hop in the nose. i will likely dry hop with 1 oz of citra
i would love a lil more feedback on the grain bill here. has a consensus been reached? i'm looking for the lighter color of the victory brew
thanks all for your hard work thus far

to date ive brewed a partial sierra nevada clone, ag stone ipa clone (recipe from a book! ha), and my ag arrogant bastard clone (recipe from this forum) will be ready for carbonation in a week. all have been great so far and i look forward to brewing this summer love in the spring!

Old 12-27-2012, 11:49 AM   #47
g-star
Recipes 

The next time I brew this, I would drop the crystal and go with something like 90/10 Pilsner/Munich, or something in that ballpark. Shoot for an OG of around 1.052 and 40-45 IBU's using clean ale yeast and German hops (Perle, Hellertauer, Spalt, etc). at 60/30/15 min. I would then dry-hop with 2oz of Citra for 7 days and package however you like.

Based on my experience with the original recipe, this seems like it might get a step closer to the real thing. Let us know how your version turns out.

Cheers!

Old 12-29-2012, 11:11 AM   #48
NervousDad
BFM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 166 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 181

Did you do a 90 minutes boil?

I have a German ale starter that needs to be used and I think it will work well with this.

Old 12-29-2012, 04:06 PM   #49
g-star
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NervousDad View Post
Did you do a 90 minutes boil?

I have a German ale starter that needs to be used and I think it will work well with this.
I do a 90min boil whenever I use Pilsner malt, regardless of the recipe. Why take a chance with DMS?

Old 01-01-2013, 08:39 PM   #50
NewJersey
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 21

whats dms?

Quick Reply