Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Victory Storm King clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2010, 02:40 AM   #1
RIT_Warrior
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Victory Storm King clone

I can't find a recipe online anywhere, so I'm going to make my own. In celebration of my new 7.5 gallon pot and the ability to do full boils I shall brew this. I'd appreciate criticisms/critiques of this to hone it before I actually attempt it. What do you guys think:

10lbs Extra Light DME
1lbs Crystal 60L
.75lbs Roasted Barley
.75lbs Black Patent
.5 Chocolate Malt
1oz Columbus 14% (60 min)
.75oz Centennial 10% (60 min)
.75oz Centennial 10% (30 min)
1oz Cascade 5.5% (15 min)
.5 tab Whirlfloc (probably not necessary...)
2 packets Safale US-05

OG: ~1.090
FG: ~1.019
Batch size: 5 gal

I know the hops are "Pacific Northwest", so I shot for ~80 IBUs using the 3 Cs. I know you can't see through this stuff at all, so I loaded it up with super dark steeing grains. And I know it comes in at around 9% alcohol, so I shot for an OG of around 1.090. I assume 2 packets of US-05 would be up to the task of fermenting that down. Compliments/suggestions/criticisms welcome!

Old 11-13-2010, 03:37 PM   #2
ejearn
Recipes 

This thread has a recipe (all-grain):

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/amer...-recipe-88929/

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2010, 04:51 PM   #3
RIT_Warrior
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I saw that, but I don't think that recipe is Storm King. For instance, that recipe is 5.5% alcohol, but Storm King clocks in at above 9%. Storm King also uses American hops (according to Victory), specifically Pacific Northwest American hops, while that recipe uses Hallertau and Northern Brewer. I also think Storm King is above and beyond most IPAs for bitterness, so I put the IBUs at around 80. That recipe looks to be around 30, according to beersmith. Basically, I don't think it is an Imperial IPA.

Old 11-13-2010, 05:30 PM   #4
Dang
Recipes 

Are you against using partial mashes?

Also, its been a while since I've had this but I remember quite a bit of roasted malt flavor to it

here use this link to determine appropriate yeast addition:
http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

Last edited by Dang; 11-13-2010 at 05:35 PM.

Old 11-13-2010, 05:53 PM   #5
RIT_Warrior
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dang View Post
Are you against using partial mashes?

Also, its been a while since I've had this but I remember quite a bit of roasted malt flavor to it

here use this link to determine appropriate yeast addition:
http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html
1. I've never actually done it before, but I am told you can do this without extra equipment, so I'm actually going to try it with a 90 minute IPA clone I'm brewing. So I suppose I could give it a go, if it would improve this recipe.

2. Yep, it does have lot of roasted malt flavor. Think I should up the roasted barley and chop off some of the other steeping grains?

3. Yep, I knew about that tool; it is quite useful. Looks like it suggests 1.5 US-05 packets for this OG. I'll do that, then.

Old 11-13-2010, 06:01 PM   #6
Dang
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIT_Warrior View Post
1. I've never actually done it before, but I am told you can do this without extra equipment, so I'm actually going to try it with a 90 minute IPA clone I'm brewing. So I suppose I could give it a go, if it would improve this recipe.
This is a stout that has good head retention (at least it had a small head retention down the whole glass as I was drinking it). So I would mash flaked barley or carapils to add this head retention....I'd say go ahead and steep but I do not know if simply steeping either flaked barley or carapils will quite get the characteristics you are looking for.

Quote:
2. Yep, it does have lot of roasted malt flavor. Think I should up the roasted barley and chop off some of the other steeping grains?
I have no experience brewing stout...I just simply agree the other forum link on here is nowhere near a storm king clone. But that being said I would be very cautious using chocolate malt period so cut a bit on that and perhaps the crystal as well. I recently brewed an IPA with a small small addition of black patent and the flavor imparted on the IPA is quite interesting so I don't know if I would cut that.

In my opinion there is nothing worse than a stout that tastes like too much chocolate, but everyone criticizes me for that so take what I say about the chocolate malt with a grain of salt.

Old 11-13-2010, 06:41 PM   #7
RIT_Warrior
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
This is a stout that has good head retention (at least it had a small head retention down the whole glass as I was drinking it). So I would mash flaked barley or carapils to add this head retention....I'd say go ahead and steep but I do not know if simply steeping either flaked barley or carapils will quite get the characteristics you are looking for.
You can steel carapils/carafoam, I've done it before. It works great. I'll add some of that to the recipe. Flaked barley might work better though.

Quote:
I have no experience brewing stout...I just simply agree the other forum link on here is nowhere near a storm king clone. But that being said I would be very cautious using chocolate malt period so cut a bit on that and perhaps the crystal as well. I recently brewed an IPA with a small small addition of black patent and the flavor imparted on the IPA is quite interesting so I don't know if I would cut that.

In my opinion there is nothing worse than a stout that tastes like too much chocolate, but everyone criticizes me for that so take what I say about the chocolate malt with a grain of salt.
You might be right on the chocolate malt, I think I'll actually take that out. I'm still a bit wary about going overboard with the roasted barley, the stuff has quite a powerful flavor.

10lbs Extra Light DME
.9lbs Roasted Barley
.75lbs Black Patent
.5lbs carapils/carafoam
.5lbs Crystal 60L
1oz Columbus 14% (60 min)
.75oz Centennial 10% (60 min)
.75oz Centennial 10% (30 min)
1oz Cascade 5.5% (15 min)
.5 tab Whirlfloc (probably not necessary...)
2 packets Safale US-05

And funny you should mention black patent and IPAs, I just picked up some Otter Creek "Black IPA", which is an IPA that uses roasted barley/black patent. Pretty good stuff, and rather cheap too.

Old 11-13-2010, 07:03 PM   #8
Dang
Recipes 

Hopefully someone can offer their experience with roasted barley...I haven't used it before and I'm unfamiliar how much flavor it would impart on a heavy beer like this. I just know for a fact thats the main flavor I noticed of this beer.

I'm guessing if this was all-grain I'd use about 20 lbs of maris otter...since their site clearly states it is brewed with imported 2 row...and if i kept the rest of your grain selection that would put roasted barley at about 5%. To me, that sounds right.

I wouldn't go so far to say completely eliminate the chocolate malt...I was poking around a few sites looking for examples and couldn't find another russian imperial stout without a 2 to 3 percent grist of chocolate malt. Maybe start at 1/5 of a lb to 1/3 of a lb to steep?

I may just go buy one of these soon and taste it again just because I'd like a change of pace from brewing IPAs and hefeweizens.

Old 12-07-2011, 04:48 PM   #9
mccann51
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Any updates on this?

Old 05-09-2013, 03:42 PM   #10
humann_brewing
More Humann than human
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 308 Times on 306 Posts
Likes Given: 18

wouldn't mind reviving this thread. The website says 3 2row grains so that would leave flaked barley out I think but maybe they didn't mention that as an ingredient and just have say, 2row, roasted barley and chocolate or something.

On tap: #79 Berliner Weisse 1.030 9/20/12, Flanders, Barleywine, Wild Blonde (1.045 blonde hopped up and fermented with WLP644), #80B rett Saison
Fermenting: #82 Galaxy IPA, #83 Black IPA
Aging: #67 Bareleywine 1.116 11/07/2012, Flanders 2 batches 1.056 and 1.060 12/12/11 and 3/26/12, Kriek, 1.052 12/11,

Quick Reply