The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Viability of my yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2007, 08:07 PM   #1
jerly
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Viability of my yeast

I was going to brew a batch two weeks ago but basically wasn't able to get to it. I was using wyeast and had smacked the pack. It puffed up in about three hours and I have never opened it. It has been puffed up for two weeks now. If I brew this weekend would the yeast still be okay? I don't have any extra extract to make a starter so I'm just wanting to dump the yeast straight in.

Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2007, 04:50 AM   #2
azmtnbiker
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Did you keep it in the fridge? I would really want to make a starter to make sure I had viable yeast. If it was left at room temp then I would not use it unless I could make a starter and make sure.

Old 10-09-2007, 02:27 PM   #3
jerly
Recipes 

I decided against it. I'm going to get some new yeast and hopefully brew it up this weekend. I have to get a little more strict with my techniques. The last two batches I've brewed up just weren't as good. I think I screwed up with the hops. Switched the bittering with the finishing or something. The beer is still drinkable, but dissapointing from the same recipes that I've brewed before.

I still have the Richard's Pumpkin ale I brewed waiting to be bottled. That ones been in secondary for a month and a half. Can't wait to taste it.

Quick Reply