Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Velvet Beer and other "creamy" beers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2006, 06:38 PM   #1
NEPABREWER
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default Velvet Beer and other "creamy" beers

anyone here ever had Velvet? I had it a couple of times in Prague. What gives beer like this its smooth silky charecter? low carbonation coupled with something else? Is it nitrogen? Other similar creamy beers might include Guisness or Bodingtons.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2006, 07:15 PM   #2
drengel
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEPABREWER
Is it nitrogen?
never had a velvet, but the other two you mentioned get the creaminess from nitrogen, a hard thing to do as a homebrewer unless you've a kegerator with a stout faucet.

drinking: mocha java porter, belgian pumpkin ale, Gary's oatmeal stout clone, AHS nut brown, catamount porter clone, double nut brown, rye pale ale, my oatmeal stout

conditioning: nut brown

next: saison, wit, american wheat, hefe, kolsch, blonde

gone: too damn many

Old 04-22-2006, 07:57 PM   #3
NEPABREWER

Recipes 

oh I see

Old 04-23-2006, 02:48 AM   #4
Lost
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Oats also make the beer smooth and are a welcome addition to porters and stouts especially. I think what you're thinking of though is nitrogen carbed beer - that's what gives it that soft, thick, creamy head. Carapils also thickens the beer and tends to give it a better, fuller mouth feel.

Basically, as a homebrewer without a kegging setup (plus nitrogen tank and stout faucet) all you can do is use some oats and carapils to simulate the effect.

Quick Reply