Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > vanilla weizen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2006, 11:07 PM   #1
kevy_kev
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default vanilla weizen

can somebody help me put this receipe together. I wanted to do a vanilla weizen like the one on homebrew heaven. My wife went to the Local HBS and they put some ingredients together, but I dont know how much of each and the one online doesnt say either. Think this matches closely to the one online?
I have:

3 lbs Muntons Wheat DME
1 lb 10L Crystal
2 oz Hersbrucker Hops, pellets.
1 oz Irish Moss
vanilla beans
liquid wyeast #3068

I only have a 2 gallon pot and a 1 gallon pot. should I use both to make 3 gallons? And if so then how does everything get split up?
Taking all that into account, the main questions are:
how much grain to steep?
How much hops to use for each (bitter, flavor, finishing)

thanks

Primary #1:
Secondary #1:
Stout Conical #1:
Keg #1: Celebration IPA
Keg #2: Oyster Stout
Keg #3: Apricot Ale

Gone: Pumpkin Porter, Founders Breakfast Stout Clone, Lemon Lime Hefe, Kiwi Express IPA, Holiday Red, OktoberFast, Rose Hip Honey Ale, Saison, Hot Chocolate Porter, Blonde, Mad Elf Clone, Raison D'Etre Clone, American Light, Oatmeal Stout, American Cream Ale, Doggy Bag (Leftover ingredients brew - California Common).......

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2006, 02:40 AM   #2
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I was in Williamstown last week. I have relatives on Tuckahoe Rd. My sister died in Tom's River.

We're originally from Camden (1950-60s Camden that is...)

Here's a really simple HW recipe:

ALL TOO SIMPLE WHEAT BEER

Extract German Wheat /Weizen Beer

Make a yeast starter 24 hours before brewing/pitching.

6.5 lbs Wheat DME (brand name of your choice)
1 oz. Hallertau hops - bittering - 3.5 - 4.5 % AA range works well
(If you use whole hops be sure to add 10% more)
0.5 oz Hallertauer hops - aroma/finishing (same)
Weizen / Bavarian Wheat yeast of your choice
1 tsp Irish moss (very optional as most weizens are supposed to be cloudy)

Add malt and bittering hops to the pot. Boil for 45 mins.

Add Irish Moss (if used) and aroma hops and boil for 15 min.

Remove from heat. Sparge wort from hops.

Ferment at/around 70 degrees for 1-2 weeks.
(Temp range really depends on the yeast used and the flavor you are aiming for. Read up on yeasts temps and capabilities)

Prime with 1.25 cups of DME.

As you will notice, you don't use 1 oz of Irish Moss. 1 tsp at the most and with HWs it's optional because it's supposed to be cloudy.

I've read some people will just use 1 large vanilla bean (cut up) in the boil. 2 if they are small.

Old 05-19-2006, 03:42 PM   #3
kevy_kev
Recipes 

so no grains? Also I was a little concerned about only getting 3 lbs of DME but figured HW are supposed to be lighter on alcohol. Your recipe says use six. Wonder if I need more! I got the ingredients from the HBS on the black horse pike in Washington Twp. Tuckahoe Road is very close to me. I am on the other side of the black horse pike. We have only lived here for a year but like it a lot. 50s-60s Camden is a long way from where it is now, unfortunately. Before moving to Willaimstown I lived in Oaklyn, the next town to the east of camden and haved lived in Camden County all my life, except for the last year and a few years in philly while in college.
Small world....

Primary #1:
Secondary #1:
Stout Conical #1:

Gone: Pumpkin Porter, Founders Breakfast Stout Clone, Lemon Lime Hefe, Kiwi Express IPA, Holiday Red, OktoberFast, Rose Hip Honey Ale, Saison, Hot Chocolate Porter, Blonde, Mad Elf Clone, Raison D'Etre Clone, American Light, Oatmeal Stout, American Cream Ale, Doggy Bag (Leftover ingredients brew - California Common).......

Old 05-19-2006, 03:54 PM   #4
Beer Snob

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevy_kev
so no grains? Also I was a little concerned about only getting 3 lbs of DME but figured HW are supposed to be lighter on alcohol. Your recipe says use six. Wonder if I need more!
Well.... this probably brings up a question many are probably asking here... you got a 2 gal pot and a 1 gal pot. I've seen you've been brewing. How many galons do you brew? 6-7 lbs is good for a wheat... for 5 gallons, but using a 2 and 1 gal pot to brew a 5 gal batch has to be a lot of fun. I agree with Homebrewer_99, you certainly dont need Irish Moss for wheat. The only addition I would add to his tasty recipe is some Malto Dextrin cause I like a little more mouthfeel.... like 1/4 ish pound.

"Don't worry, have a homebrew." ,"The "Bible"

Cherries in the wheat
Michael's Wheat

Old 05-19-2006, 04:04 PM   #5
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer Snob
The only addition I would add to his tasty recipe is some Malto Dextrin cause I like a little more mouthfeel.... like 1/4 ish pound.
I used to use it a long time ago, but I don't find it necessary (to use Malto Dextrin) when I brew HWs, only when I do a partial (use grains).

I found my beer was a bit "thick". Smaller chunks of floating yeast would be suspended in the beer and not move at all no matter how I twisted and turned the glass...very odd looking.

Last edited by homebrewer_99; 05-19-2006 at 04:12 PM.

Old 05-19-2006, 04:07 PM   #6
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

I would think all the extra protein in a Hefeweizen would contribute some mouthfeel...at least I never thought of Hefe's as thin.

Old 05-19-2006, 04:09 PM   #7
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevy_kev
...I lived in Oaklyn...Small world....
You think that's small, I used to live in Oaklyn also. Right on Rt 30 across the street from the supermarket (there's a bar on the other end of the block that my dad used to drink in all the time) and next to Dunkin' Dognuts. Prior to that we live in Woodlyn. I graduated 8th grade there and went on to Collingswood HS until moving to Oaklyn then they made me change schools. We moved to Atlantic City in '69. I went into the Army in '72.

Old 05-19-2006, 04:11 PM   #8
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron von BeeGee
I would think all the extra protein in a Hefeweizen would contribute some mouthfeel...at least I never thought of Hefe's as thin.
You are correct and I agree, I never said HW was thin. I am only saying using MD in HW seems a bit overkill. IMO, HWs have more than enough body. Using MD is not necessary.

Old 05-19-2006, 04:23 PM   #9
Beer Snob

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I'll have something to compare it to rather quickly. The AG wheat I attempted has no MD in it. It will be interesting to see the difference right at the same time.

"Don't worry, have a homebrew." ,"The "Bible"

Cherries in the wheat
Michael's Wheat

Old 05-19-2006, 04:25 PM   #10
kevy_kev
Recipes 

This is getting weird. the bar next to Dunkin Donuts used to be called Mardi Gras and is now closed. I lived on W. Holly, 3 houses in from the WHP. The street where the ritz theatre is. I work at the AC airport.

now back to beer.
I actually have only boiled 2 gallons. Then I would top off with water to get 5 gallons. I know not the best, but I would take the small boil volume into account when adding hops and speciality grains. There was a post a few weeks ago about boil volume and a guy said he splits it up into 2 pots since he doesnt have a 5 gallon pot. Sound like a good idea and figured I would try it.
I have never used Irish Moss before and dont mind a cloudy beer so I may leave it out and try it on another non-HW batch to see how it clears.
So still no answer on using the 10L Crystal grains. And it sounds like I should go back for more wheat DME.

Primary #1:
Secondary #1:
Stout Conical #1:

Quick Reply