Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Vanilla and Cinnamon Not in the same beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2005, 01:51 PM   #1
ScottD13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Vanilla and Cinnamon Not in the same beer

I’ve been thinking of using a tiny amount of Vanilla in a Wit recipe that I’m working on, it’s not ready to be posted yet for review. I'm talking a tiny bit!

Has anyone ever used Vanilla in a recipe? Whole or extract? How much did you use and how much did it affect the beer?

Thanks!

Same thing goes for Cinnamon
Another brew I’m thinking about would be a stout – oatmeal or dry not sure. But I love the combo of Cinnamon and Chocolate so I was thinking of Cinnamon Chocolate Stout.

I’m just talking about trace hints of flavor, not like a spiced beer. I’ve done chocolate Stouts in the past but I’ve never used Cinnamon.

Anyone used cinnamon before? In sticks or powder? How much did you use, at what point did you add it, how did it come out?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2005, 01:59 PM   #2
DyerNeedOfBeer
Barley Sober
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

One of my regulars is a vanilla cream ale. Three ounces of vanilla extract (not imitation - though it may work, I just have used the real stuff) added to the bottling bucket (in addition to the priming sugars) for a five gallon batch has done great for me. You can definitely taste the vanilla but it is not overpowering at all.

I have read threads where people have not had such good luck with vanilla beans due to off flavors from the vodka (I believe its vodka) they soak the bean in and also there is a concern over sanitation if you just drop a bean in a secondary.

Beer lovers make better drinkers.

Old 08-12-2005, 02:10 PM   #3
ScottD13
Recipes 

I'm suprised that you can taste it with only 3oz. For what I'm thinking I'd go with 1oz.

Thanks that's very helpful.

Old 08-12-2005, 07:13 PM   #4
Somerville

Recipes 

On Cinnamon:

"...make sure you use cinnamon bark rather than powder because you can easily remove the sticks from the brew; cinnamon powder (unless filtered out) would remain in the beer and may create a harsh flavor and an unpleasant lingering mouthfeel." - Dummies Guide to Homebrewing

Hope that helps

(None)

Bottled
(None)
R.I.P.
Dry Irish Stout #1
German Pilsner #1
American Pale Ale #1
California Ale #1
Dusseldorf Style Altbier #1

Old 08-13-2005, 12:29 AM   #5
AlaskaAl(e)
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I added 3 cinnamon sticks to the secondary of last year's Wreck the Halls Porter. The dark coffee and cinnamon complimented each other well. I didn't leave it in for the entire five months of the secondary, just the first two.

Quick Reply