Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Using up some Black Patent

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2006, 12:37 AM   #1
EugeneStyles
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Using up some Black Patent

Aside from brewing a very astringent Porter, does anybody have any ideas on using up a bunch of Black Patent? We recently put in an order with our LHBS for an Imperial Stout. When we went back to pick it up on brew day, they were closed, so we went to another homebrew store (where they were quite rude! won't be going back there again) and picked up the ingredients. Then, when we got back home with the ingredients, which included a pound of Black Patent, we realized that we still had an entire pound unused, and just used 1/8th of that. When we went back to our usual LHBS, in the interest of diplomacy and supporting a business that we like, we offered to buy the grains that we had ordered, even though we no longer needed them (because they were closed in our hour of need... ).

So, we now have like 2 and 7/8ths lbs. of Black Patent. My original thought was to brew a Schwarzbier and try out lagering in the garage during this colder time of year. That's still probably what we'll do, but I've found precious little info on Schwarzbiers... people don't seem to make them very often. And when they do, they don't always use Black Patent, and when they *do* us Black Patent, it's generally not that much of it.

So I put together a recipe with 1 lb. of Black Patent (balanced somewhat with 1 lb. of Crystal 40L and either .5 or 1 lb. of Munich Malt), and figured it was worth a try. But on second thought, a full pound of Black Patent sounds like overkill. It's probably not even going to be drinkable is it?

Worst comes to worst, I'll probably just use a 1/2 pound (still a lot, but I think it'll be worth trying), throw away the already-open bag (no other beers in the immediate brewing line-up that will use it), and then save the other 2 bags for later. Maybe in the fridge for freshness?

Anyone have any thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2006, 01:09 AM   #2
Brewsmith

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts

Throw it in the freezer. It shoud keep fine.

Fermenting:#160 Apollo/Calypso Pale Ale
Kegged:#153 Old Helicon Barleywine 2013, #157 Irish Red, #158 Mosaic IPA, #159 Bravo/Delta ESB
Up Next:Brown Porter, American Stout, Imperial Stout
My Recipes
Tuba Sonata

Smith & Co. Custom Tap Handles

Old 11-10-2006, 01:22 AM   #3
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 631 Times on 394 Posts
Likes Given: 58

I don't think I'd put a 1/2 lb of black patent in any 5 gallon recipe. 4 ounces is almost too much for me...and I like those dark roasty flavors.

Old 11-10-2006, 01:44 AM   #4
alemonkey
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have an Imperial stout bottle conditioning right now that used 1/2 pound of black patent. It tasted great at bottling time a couple months ago - I'm not going to open it until December.

Mine was 1.100 OG though, and balanced out with 2 pounds of crystal malt, plus a bunch of other specialty grains.

Quick Reply