Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Using Summit hops?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2013, 03:50 AM   #1
wyobrewer1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 152 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Default Using Summit hops?

Does anyone have experience with summit hops? Going for an IPA and the brew shop is out of Simcoe and he suggested using Summit? I thought I'd use it early and at 30 minutes then go with cascade for an aroma addition then dry hop with both summit and cascade. Figured this will come out very citrusy and awesome!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2013, 04:50 AM   #2
eastoak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 151 Times on 142 Posts
Likes Given: 83

summit is not like simcoe but it can be very good. i've detected an onion smell in the fresh hops and the same smell in the finished beer. some people do not like that but it didn't bother me. give mosaic a try for a simcoe substitute, it's a daughter to simcoe.

Old 03-07-2013, 05:25 AM   #3
HeavyKettleBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyobrewer1
Does anyone have experience with summit hops? Going for an IPA and the brew shop is out of Simcoe and he suggested using Summit? I thought I'd use it early and at 30 minutes then go with cascade for an aroma addition then dry hop with both summit and cascade. Figured this will come out very citrusy and awesome!
It will come out awesome. You can use summit for bittering as well. I found that Summit/Citra or Summit/Centennial was very good. Summit/Cascade should be a good combo.

Old 03-07-2013, 11:34 AM   #4
Calichusetts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 282 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 762

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyKettleBrewing View Post
It will come out awesome. You can use summit for bittering as well. I found that Summit/Citra or Summit/Centennial was very good. Summit/Cascade should be a good combo.
Exactly...I find that summit slips its way into many of my recipes...just did a summit/cascade, dry hopping now and I'll bottle it this weekend. I don't get the onion smell/taste. Much more like tangerine.

Old 03-07-2013, 01:27 PM   #5
wyobrewer1
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastoak
summit is not like simcoe but it can be very good. i've detected an onion smell in the fresh hops and the same smell in the finished beer. some people do not like that but it didn't bother me. give mosaic a try for a simcoe substitute, it's a daughter to simcoe.
Yeah I couldn't find summit as a sub for Simcoe listed anywhere. More like a super cascade. Hopefully it ends up with a good grapefruit aroma.

Old 03-07-2013, 01:37 PM   #6
bobbrews
Recipes 

Liked 285 Times on 243 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Ninkasi Tricerahops is one of my favorite commercial IIPAs and it uses a decent amount of Summit. So does Green Flash Imperial IPA, another favorite of mine. I mainly detect dank resiny tangerine citrus from both of these beers, which use the majority of Summit early on and in the dryhop. For a replacement, Apollo or Columbus would probably be the most similar to Summit.

Some people will tell you that the supposed oniony character only occurs when the grower leaves Summit on the bines for too long. But I believe there is a fallacy in this claim.

Other Summit heavy beers like Devil Dancer taste straight up oniony every year. I wouldn't say that Founders is specifically requesting from the grower that their allotted portion of Summit be left on the bines for longer. Rather, Founders is just using way more Summit and implementing it via a vastly different hop schedule with less complementary hop combos... The same goes for Oskar Blues Gubna. Both of these beers taste oniony, yet all four hoppy ales mentioned in my post focus quite a bit on Summit hops.

My theory is that Summit will yield oniony traits if you overdo it in the 30-5 minute kettle boil range and don't balance it out with fruity hops like Amarillo or Citra. The effects might be magnified if you also incorporate this schedule with a substantial amount of Summit for a long, 10-14 day dryhop.

Old 03-07-2013, 02:11 PM   #7
tennesseean_87
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 105

I just used it in an IPA to bitter and 50/50 for late additions/dry hop with Cascade. It seems to have more of an orange/tangerine citrus flavor and is more round than Cascade. I like it, but might use it in the future at 1/2 ratio to cascade.

Old 03-07-2013, 02:22 PM   #8
DPBISME
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Cool...

I have about a pound of it and have been trying to figure out what ti do with it...

It came wih about 30 pounds of hops I got from a guy who was selling all his brewing equipment.

Old 03-25-2013, 06:08 PM   #9
wyobrewer1
Recipes 

Just bottled my IPA this morning. I used equal parts summit and cascade with 60 and 30 min summit additions and 30 and 0 minute cascade. Then dry hopped with 2 to 1 ratio cascade to summit. I've got to say....it's the most awful smelling/tasting beer I've ever had. Smells like pure onion and tastes just as bad. Basically not even worth bottling. It was soooo bad.

Old 03-25-2013, 06:55 PM   #10
Calichusetts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 282 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 762

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyobrewer1 View Post
Just bottled my IPA this morning. I used equal parts summit and cascade with 60 and 30 min summit additions and 30 and 0 minute cascade. Then dry hopped with 2 to 1 ratio cascade to summit. I've got to say....it's the most awful smelling/tasting beer I've ever had. Smells like pure onion and tastes just as bad. Basically not even worth bottling. It was soooo bad.
What a shame, but something else must be going on there. I just bottled a 50/50 split of the same combo about 3 weeks ago and had no unpleasant flavors, certainly not onion

Quick Reply