The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Using old hops?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2009, 12:05 AM   #1
EamusCatuli
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Using old hops?

I was lucky enough to brew with a masterbrewer today at the Cincinnati Rockbottom and he let me take home a ton of "out of inventory" hops. They are all about a year (maybe more) old and I just wanted to know what purposes they may still serve.

I got a bunch of Centennial, not much smell left but they are high AA% - so maybe still good for bittering?

I got some Tett. and other noble hops as well - but the same story as the centennial, no aroma left.

Can I still use these?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2009, 09:53 AM   #2
SumnerH
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Aged noble hops are used in making lambics, though those probably need a lot more aging to reach that point.

On deck: Little Bo Pils, Bretta Off Dead (Brett pale)
Secondary: Oude Bruin, Red Sky at Morning (Sour brown ale)
On tap: Saison Duphunk (sour), Amarillo Slim (IPA), Earl White (ginger/bergamot wit)
Bottled: Number 8 (Belgian Strong Dark Ale), Eternale (Barleywine), Ancho Villa (Ancho/pasilla/chocolate/cinnamon RIS), Oak smoked porter (1/2 maple bourbon oaked, 1/2 apple brandy oaked)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply