Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Using honey instead of DME

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2012, 03:59 PM   #1
nye1006
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Default Using honey instead of DME

The friend that got me in to home brewing has used a pre hopped nut brown LME a couple times with great cheers by all . I bought the kit to try out for myself but wanted to change it up some so not to feel like a boring copy cat. What he did was add 2lbs. light DME to the nut brown kit during the boil. I was hoping to replace that with the right amount of honey to equal the light DME. Have not had any luck finding a conversion of this but it seems that a honey extract is the way to go.
Also was not sure when to add the honey for I have read a lot of different opinions on that as well. This is only my second brew so any tips or info would be more then welcome by little old me the beginner.

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2012, 04:31 PM   #2
smiller
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

About 2.6 lbs of honey will give you the same fermentables as 2 lbs of DME. The process behind this reasoning is too long to explain, but it stems from info in Designing Great Beers by Ray Daniels. Also see this post http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/my-b...ml#post3981581. I would add the honey with about 15 minutes left in the boil, but you're right, there are a lot of different ways to do this.

Old 07-07-2012, 02:14 AM   #3
nye1006
Recipes 

Well got some local raw honey from my LHBS and going to cook it up tomorrow. Thanks for the reply I will let you know how it goes.

Old 07-07-2012, 02:22 AM   #4
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1257 Times on 836 Posts
Likes Given: 576

Replacing DME with honey will give you a very different beer. Unlike barley malt extract, honey will ferment almost completely. This will thin out the beer significantly. That's not necessarily bad, but once you start adding 2-3lbs of the stuff you're really drifting more into the territory of a braggot than a beer.

As for conversions, it's tricky. The water/sugar content of honey can vary significantly from batch to batch, so the only real way to know for sure is to dilute a sample down in a known quantity of water and measure the gravity. If you're just looking for a rough approximation, 1-1.5 lbs honey to 1 lb dme seems about right.

"Be excellent to each other." -Benjamin Franklin

Old 07-08-2012, 09:53 PM   #5
smiller
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

MalFet is correct for getting the exact amount for the specific honey you bought. I was basing the 2.6 lb estimate off of standard extract potential values for honey and DME.

Old 07-09-2012, 01:44 AM   #6
nye1006
Recipes 

Wow never thought I was drifting that far away from the beer path adding honey to a LME but hay if it taste good I'm all for it. Just to let you know the wort was very sweet but I know that most that will be eaten by the yeast also the SG came out to 1.041. I guess since I really don't know much of anything about braggot how are other beers that have honey in them not in this category?

Old 07-09-2012, 04:59 AM   #7
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1257 Times on 836 Posts
Likes Given: 576

Quote:
Originally Posted by nye1006 View Post
Wow never thought I was drifting that far away from the beer path adding honey to a LME but hay if it taste good I'm all for it. Just to let you know the wort was very sweet but I know that most that will be eaten by the yeast also the SG came out to 1.041. I guess since I really don't know much of anything about braggot how are other beers that have honey in them not in this category?
A little bit of honey can be helpful to dry a beer out. A lot of honey will make it start behaving more like a braggot. There's no clear line that makes something one or the other, but several pounds of honey is usually enough to unbalance normal recipe.

I'm not saying it'll be bad, but honey and barley extract aren't generally interchangeable.

"Be excellent to each other." -Benjamin Franklin

nye1006 Likes This 
Old 07-10-2012, 12:59 AM   #8
nye1006
Recipes 

OK cool. Thanks for the information, I can use every bit right now only been at this two months

Old 07-10-2012, 01:15 AM   #9
smiller
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Know that the conversion we gave you will land you in the ballpark for the same OG, but as MalFet said, the beer will be much different.

Old 07-10-2012, 01:50 AM   #10
jonmohno
Recipes 

Liked 410 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 1206

Sometimes "changing it up" wont do what you intended to be different. I dont think adding that instead will necessarily give you a better beer,it could, but it will be different. Starting slower with experimenting may be better,sometimes it comes out good but if just "guessing"then its just luck or bad luck.

Quick Reply