New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Using Flaked Oats, Wheat, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2008, 02:42 AM   #1
Fat Guy Brewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Using Flaked Oats, Wheat, etc.

I just brewed a light ale to add raspberries with later in the secondary. For 5 gallons extract, I boiled 1 lb of light DME for 50 minutes then added 3 more lbs of light DME, 1 lb of dry rice solid, and 1 lb of flaked oats for the last 10 minutes. I was hoping the extra rice solid would get the gravity up to about 1.05. However, the oats seemed to have soaked up much of the wort and I only got an OG of 1.036. Can anyone tell me if this is to be expected or did I do anything wrong...bad recipe? Thanks.

CF
Owner, Brewer, Taster

Brewing: IPA
Fermenting: Oktoberfast
Aging:
Drinking: Fat Guy Porter, Fat Guy Tire, AJ's Raspberry, SWMBO Slayer
Up Next: Xmas Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2008, 12:48 PM   #2
fratermus
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Flaked grains have to be mashed with base malt. Then you boil what runs off them rather than boiling them directly.

And I think that whole cereal grains like rice require a "cereal mash" step before that to render them physically ready. Flaked grains undergo that transformation during the flaking.

If I am off-base, someone pls correct.

Old 09-03-2008, 01:43 PM   #3
Zymurgrafi

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Fratermus is correct.

Steeping or boiling unmalted oats wheat or rye will not contribute anything positive to your brew. They lack enzymes to convert themselves. They need to be mashed with at least a small amount of malted barley. Boiling in fact will only result in adding starches and proteins to your beer making it hazy and less stable in terms of aging.

sláinte!

Bristle Bros. Brewing

Quick Reply