Using Cascade instead of Centennial

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robnog

Reaction score
I'm going to attempt to make a Three Floyds Alpha King clone this weekend. The recipe calls for a total of 3.5 oz of Centennial and I only have 2.5. However, I do have plenty of cascade. Which would be the best addition to replace the centennial with the cascade?

The recipe is:

12 lbs. - 2 Row Pale Malt
1 lb. - Crystal Malt (60L)
1/4 lb. - Special B Malt
1/8 lb. - Melanoidin Malt

Hops

1 oz - Centennial (60 min.)
1/2 oz - Warrior (30 min.)
1 oz - Cascade (15 min.)
1.5 oz - Centennial (5 min.)
1 oz - Centennial (Dry Hop)

Yeast

White Labs California Ale Yeast (WLP001)

My guess would be .5oz at 60 and .5oz at 5 (or whatever the equivalent oz is in Cascade).

Thanks,

Rob

I would go a different route. Centennial has a higher alpha acid content than Cascade that I would want to take advantage of that to try to stay true to the style, so I'd do an ounce at 60, an ounce at 5 and save a half ounce for dryhopping and jsut add a half ounce of Cascade at 5 and to dry hop. But that's me. Looks like a nice recipe--I have never used Warrior hops and really need to try them.

I second the 5 min. and dry hop split. Cascades isn't much as a bittering hop. If you did want to use it at 60, calculate the add based on AA%, because centennial typical has 2-3 times the AA.

Back