Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Using Brown Sugar...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2005, 02:12 PM   #1
joeyuwp
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Using Brown Sugar...

I had thought about a holiday brew next but I think that will wait until next year when it can have more time to marinate. What I do plan to do is an oatmeal stout and I was thinking about priming with brown sugar but I have a few questions on doing that. Any thoughts in general on doing this? Would this add any sort of flavor to the end product? I assume it would darken it a little. Also, would I use the same amount of brown sugar as I would corn sugar? Any help on this is greatly appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2005, 06:45 PM   #2
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

No idea about priming w/brown sugar, but I recently brewed the Dogfish Head Indian Nut Brown clone from the latest issue of byo which uses carmelized brown sugar in the mash. As luck would have it, we recently had our 6%abv cap lifted here in NC and I found this beer (7.2%) at a grocery store and bought some to sample. It prominently lists brown sugar as an ingredient and flavoring component, but courtesy of this *#$@ cold I can't taste a thing.

I suppose the safe thing to do would be to prime a sixer or so with the brown sugar, and then the rest of the batch with your normal priming sugar just as an experiment.

Old 09-14-2005, 08:00 PM   #3
ScottT

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyuwp
Also, would I use the same amount of brown sugar as I would corn sugar? Any help on this is greatly appreciated.

Increase by 15% and you'll be fine.

In other words, how ever much corn sugar you usually use, multiply by 1.15 and that's how much brown sugar to use.

Scott

Primary: Empty

Secondary #2: Empty

Bottle Conditioning: Oatmeal Stout

Drinking from Keg: Ordinary Bitter, Kolsch

Drinking bottled: Brown Autumn Wee Heavy
Hefe Weizen
Peaches and Cream Weizen

"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption... Beer!"
-Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck.

Next up: Hefe Weizen

Old 09-14-2005, 08:14 PM   #4
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGee
As luck would have it, we recently had our 6%abv cap lifted here in NC and I found this beer (7.2%) at a grocery store and bought some to sample.

Hey there, BeeGee! Another brewer in Raleigh... sweet.

I tried sending a private message, but don't think I pulled it off right.

Anyway (sorry for the tangent taken here from the actual thread), but can you suggest some good pubs or breweries in the area (I just moved here.)

-walker

Quick Reply