Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Using Apple Cinnamon hot cereal

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2011, 10:24 PM   #1
gclay
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default Using Apple Cinnamon hot cereal

Ok I love cinnamon and eat quite a bit of the apple/cinnamon hot cereal and would like to get the flavor into my beer. Just a bit not overpowering. Has anyone tried this, I would like to use oats for better head anyways and thought this might work.

I was thinking of a smash with this included.

3 gal batch
7# Munich
.5# oats (apple cinnamon)
1.5oz Tomahawk hops
Safale S-04 yeast

Maybe some Orange zest too.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2011, 10:30 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Are you mashing it in the tun, or adding it to the boil, or both?

There's precedent for using cooking and cereal in brewing so it should be fine, though you will find that more is better. I used 2.4 pounds of ginger snap cookies in the mash of my ginger snap brown ale, and next time I think I will double it.

If you over the stuff will fade with time, if you under calculate, then you won't have it.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-28-2011, 10:45 PM   #3
gclay
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

ummmmmm ginger snaps......

I'll try 2 pounds then, let ya know how it works out.

Old 07-19-2012, 02:46 PM   #4
beerforbreakfast
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

Hey Revvy, is there a way to do that ginger snap cookie deal into an extract kit? I really wanna try it, but I'm still new and I'm doing extract kits. I'm guessing crush the cookies to a pulp and put at the end of the boil and bring to boil (or at least 165 F to kill everything) and ferment it? I'm kinda scared that the sugar from the cookie will ferment out and leave it with an undersweet yet gingery flavor.

Thanks!

Quick Reply