Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Use a packet of Knox Gelatin to clear up cloudy liquid

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2010, 01:24 AM   #1
Suziebr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Use a packet of Knox Gelatin to clear up cloudy liquid

I just heard something the other day from a fellow brewer that he uses a packet of Knox Gelatin dissolved in some water and added/mixed into your fermenting liquid to clear up cloudiness in the liquid. Although I haven't tried this yet, I'm looking forward to trying it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2010, 01:40 AM   #2
Freezeblade
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 13 Posts

Only do this AFTER the beer has reached terminal gravity. I usually use it 2-3 days before bottling.

Aging:Public House Dry Stout, Procrastination Porter, Mr. Brown Ale, Westvleteren 12 Clone, Mead, Duvel Clone, Graham's English Cider 6-21, Belgian Draak Strong Ale, Fig Melomel, Acerglyn, Restorative Tonic Metheglyn

Old 05-13-2010, 02:38 AM   #3
Lcasanova
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freezeblade View Post
Only do this AFTER the beer has reached terminal gravity. I usually use it 2-3 days before bottling.
+1 on that

I used 1 tbsp dissolved in a few oz of cold water. Once it bloomed I heated it in the microwave for a bit. After it cooled I poured it into my double IPA which was on it's 3rd dry hop addition. I figured that it would pull the hops to the bottom and help clear it up. After about 48 hours it was pretty clear and all the hops were at the bottom. The only problem I had was transferring to the bottling bucket. I ususally leave just the yeast and trub at the bottom but I probably lost about a gallon or so. Check some of the threads below, good luck.

Quick Reply