The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Urgent Recipe Question/Advice

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2006, 06:13 PM   #1
sonvolt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Default Urgent Recipe Question/Advice

So, I am doing a last minute brew . . . didn't have time to fully research a good recipe for a Northern English Brown Ale. I am working with Pro-Mash and the BJCP guidelines to put one together. Grains are already mashed in and I am trying to put together a hop scale.

BJCP says 20-30 IBUs. I know that this style is very lightly hopped. Dave Miller's guide says to keep it at 5 AAUs with no flavor or finishing hops.

I want to use Northern Brewers, but to stay in these guidelines would mean using only 0.5 oz, according to Pro-Mash. Is this right? Do I want to add more hops than this? I am not overly concerned with brewing to guidelines.

Recipe:

6.5 lbs. 2-Row
0.5 lbs. Crystal 120L
4 oz Chocolate Malt
2 oz. Cara-Foam
1 lb Dark Brown Sugar

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2006, 06:46 PM   #2
Dude
Will work for beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

If it were me, I'd go on the higher end of that 20-30 IBUs. Whatever .5 or .75 ounce to get you there for a 60 minute addition, then do a .25 or .5 ounce 5 minute addition. That way you get some aroma in it. that may only add another 2 IBUs, so no big deal.

With all of that DME and the sugar, what is your OG supposed to be? You are definitley going to need some hops to balance that--because I'd bet it is goign to be fairly high.

FWIW, Ray Daniels in Designing Great Beers suggests a .5 to .7 BU:GU ratio for brown ales. IMHO, you need to up the IBUs then.

Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 06-01-2006, 07:07 PM   #3
sonvolt
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

DME? This is an all-grain brew.

According to promash, I should be up to 1.049 after the brown sugar addition.

If I put .75 oz of NB in for 60 minutes, and .25 oz. in for 5 minutes - Promash gives me 35 IBUs. This is closer (it seems) to Dave Miller's numbers but pretty high for BJCP standards.

Old 06-02-2006, 12:40 AM   #4
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 124 Posts

I'd go for 0.5 at 60 and 0.25 at 5. Browns can be made with or without aroma hops, just don't use much. 0.75 oz. of NB for bittering will push it towards an ESB.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Quick Reply