Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Un*earthly Imperial IPA Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2009, 10:33 PM   #11
humann_brewing
More Humann than human
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 308 Times on 306 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjcoyne View Post
Est Original Gravity: 1.099 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.022 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 10.15 %
Bitterness: 135.3 IBU
Est Color: 8.7 SRM

Overall this is quite close to what I am looking for (a little low on the IBU's but then again the taste above 120 is tough to notice). I am not brewing this one until May 16th so the the tasting results will be in around the end of June.....I will update when it all goes through...
I don't think this will be ready in 6 weeks if that is your time table unless you want that kind of taste.
On tap: #79 Berliner Weisse 1.030 9/20/12, Flanders, Barleywine, Wild Blonde (1.045 blonde hopped up and fermented with WLP644), #80B rett Saison
Fermenting: #82 Galaxy IPA, #83 Black IPA
Aging: #67 Bareleywine 1.116 11/07/2012, Flanders 2 batches 1.056 and 1.060 12/12/11 and 3/26/12, Kriek, 1.052 12/11,

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2009, 03:01 AM   #12
Big10Seaner
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Looks like an interesting recipe, where did you get your info for that? I tried some of the Hop Sun wheat and was trying to figure out what kinds of hops were in there, they seemed to have a lemon like taste and possibly amarillo as well.

[B]The End of the Line Brewing
Primary: Saison
Secondary: Nada
On tap: Farm Pond IPA, Airstream Ale, Barn Door Dubbel, Saison, Oktoberfest ale
Bottled: Blackberry mead, RIS

Old 05-21-2009, 03:03 AM   #13
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 42 Posts

Does this beer come out the color green? That be a lot of hops.

I may not be an expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express........ 6 months ago.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/denn...9/#post1766281

http://groups.homebrewtalk.com/Tapro...ook_Repository

Old 06-04-2009, 09:08 PM   #14
mjcoyne
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well I was FINALLY able to brew this last night and it was a most excellent time, I don't think I have ever seen so many hops for a single brew. All of the ingredients remained the same but to err on the side of caution I decided to make a half gallon starter with 2 vials of WLP001 ~36 hours before I brewed this one. I did wind up missing the OG by a little bit - wound up at 1.094 and should have been around 1.100.
As of right now (18 hours or so later) there is nice and healthy fermentation going on and I am just dying for the next couple of months to pass so I can give this a try.
I will keep you all updated once this bad boy is ready to drink, and I am sure it will go slow since one of these can hit you in the face....which is why I deeming this beer Tiger Tail.

Old 09-21-2009, 03:51 AM   #15
kal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 188 Times on 128 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Update? How'd it turn out?

Kal

Old 09-21-2009, 05:01 AM   #16
Yankeehillbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kal View Post
Update? How'd it turn out?

Kal
I'm curious as well, 6oz of Chinook? That's a lot. I love Chinook, but I think 6oz would be a bit much. Hopefully I'm wrong and you are enjoying a most excellent beer.

Old 09-21-2009, 11:59 AM   #17
mjcoyne
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The last time I tried one of these out was about 3 weeks ago and it was pretty good but still had a very 'green' flavor profile. I am going to sit on this one for another month or so (probably try again in mid October) and I will post the tasting notes then. That will be about 3 months in the bottle....hopefully it doesnt take a full 6 months for that green taste to subside. Only time will tell I suppose....

Old 09-27-2009, 10:07 PM   #18
beesy
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big10Seaner View Post
Looks like an interesting recipe, where did you get your info for that? I tried some of the Hop Sun wheat and was trying to figure out what kinds of hops were in there, they seemed to have a lemon like taste and possibly amarillo as well.
I have brewed up a Hop Sun Clone I came up with several times and it is a highly drinkable tasty brew. The Hop Sun is AWESOME for summer drinking. I didn't see a reference to any citrus or Amarillo used on their site a year or two ago when I made the reciepe - I used all Centennial and it was close. I think I posted the recipe when I first made it. Let me see if I can find the link.

Old 09-27-2009, 10:47 PM   #19
mithion
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

When formulating a recipe, don't bother making the IBUs of this magnitude. The maximum IBUs you can produce is in the vicinity of 100IBU. With hop prices being so high, it's good to know this fact and save a few pennies in the process.

Primary:
Secondary: Chimay Tripel #1
Conditioning: The Day After Christmas Eve Old Ale, Phil's Classic English #2
Drinking: Irish Rebellion
Next Beer: Earthly Brown

Old 09-27-2009, 11:10 PM   #20
krugulitis
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithion View Post
When formulating a recipe, don't bother making the IBUs of this magnitude. The maximum IBUs you can produce is in the vicinity of 100IBU. With hop prices being so high, it's good to know this fact and save a few pennies in the process.
so true!!! 135 IBU is a waste of money.

i have some other pieces of advice:

-hop additions at 45 minutes or 30 minutes are a waste of money. You will get very little to no flavor, and no aroma from any addition longer than about 20 minutes or so. thus, if you are adding for longer than that time it makes more sense to add at the start of the boil and get more ibu's. that way you get the same flavor and aroma and bitterness while using less hops (saving you money!). if you want flavor and aroma add the hops for less time than 20 minutes.

just my $0.02.

Quick Reply