Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Uinta - SUM'R Organic Summer Ale. Recipe?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2012, 04:49 AM   #1
Soulshine
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Uinta - SUM'R Organic Summer Ale. Recipe?

Anyone have a recipe for this beer? I have searched high and low and most info I can find is that it is a blonde ale and uses Sorachi Hops. Love this beer because of the flavor from the Sorachi hops. Very different, mild, vanilla/lemon hop flavor and want to brew something similar for early spring.
Any help very much appreciated.

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2012, 02:32 AM   #2
Soulshine
Recipes 

Just wanted to bump this again. Any advice? Tried contacting Uinta but no response. The beer is a golden ale with Sorachi Hops. The finish is a lemon/vanilla flavor. Is the vanilla purely from the hop or vanillia bean? And any advice on a hop schedule with Sorachi? Can I treat it like a regular hop and use it as the sole hop in the brew? Or use something like Hallertau early and then Sorachi at the end of the boil and dry hop?
Thanks for any help.

Old 01-08-2013, 01:56 AM   #3
Soulshine
Recipes 

Finally figured it out. And came out great. 3rd time is a charm.

Old 05-01-2013, 09:48 PM   #4
hulkavitch
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Mind posting the recipe?

Old 06-16-2013, 07:20 PM   #5
tallguybrewer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Drinking one of these now. I can't imagine this is much more than 100% pilsner malt with light hopping with Sorachi Ace at the end. Having used Sorachi Ace before, Unita seemingly found the sweet spot to get just the lemony flavor and aroma without pushing out the dill characteristics.

Also curious as to the recipe that you came up with.

Edit: In looking at the Can You Brew it Recipe for Wyld, I am probably incorrect regarding pilsner. It is likely the same base malt used for the Wyld (both in their Organic series). Given the color, I can't image that there is much for specialty malts in this beer.

Old 06-16-2013, 11:35 PM   #6
Beernik
Recipes 

Liked 376 Times on 293 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Tastes like American 2 Row as the base malt. It's not Marris or Munich.

I'm also guessing a clean yeast like Wyeast 1056.

I'd be interested in the recipe too. My wife likes the Lemon but not the lemon-peppercorn of Sorachi. So I might make it and sub Moteuka for it.

Btw, has anyone figured out what is wild about "Wyld"?

If I lived near a beach, I'd drink beer and look at the beach every day.

Old 06-17-2013, 08:42 PM   #7
hulkavitch
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

You are probably right, just 2 row. No dms so the boil is probably extended. I recently talked to some Uintah workers and they told me they changed the hops to opal this year. Said it tasted better.

Old 06-17-2013, 09:01 PM   #8
Beernik
Recipes 

The website still lists Sorachi. I've never used Opal, but it sounds similar in flavor.

Also, the website lists SRM = 3 and IBU = 17. A SRM = 3 doesn't leave much room for anything other than base malt.

And, of course, the ABV = 4.0% so a rough estimate of OG = 1.041 & FG = 1.010.

So guess cloning it, I'd start with a SMaSH of 2 Row & Sorachi. For 5 gallons, something like:

8lb 2 row
0.2oz Sorachi (assumed 11%AA) at 60 min
0.2oz Sorachi at 30 min
0.2oz Sorachi at 10 min
0.4oz Sorachi at flameout
Wyeast 1056

Mash it at 152F or lower to keep it from getting too malty. For 75% efficency, it results in ABV = 4.2%, IBU = 18, and SRM = 3.

For Opal hops, since they are lower AA (assumed 7%), I'd try 0.25oz additions at 60 min, 40 min, 20 min, and flameout. That results in IBU = 16.

Old 06-18-2013, 02:54 PM   #9
tallguybrewer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Agreed, that seems about right. Uinta's organic two row I believe is Great Western Pale Ale malt. The only thing that they might add is some carapils. If you look at the recipe for Wyld (or listen to the Podcast for Can You Brew It), Uinta uses a lot of carapils in that beer (12% I believe, on top of ~7% of C-10/15). I wouldn't be surprised if there is around 10% Carapils in Sum'r as well.

Interesting about the Opal hops. Perhaps that is why I liked the beer more this year. Not a huge fan of Sorachi Ace.

Old 06-18-2013, 06:05 PM   #10
Beernik
Recipes 

The Carapils is probably there for heading as much as anything else. 10% Carapils works out to dropping the 2-row to 7.25lbs and adding 13oz of Carapils.

I also thought that there is some slight room for adding C-10 or C-20 in my rough guess and maintain the SRM = 3. Maybe 4oz of C-20. It adds some flavor and takes the theoretical SRM from 2.7 to 3.5.

Edit: I'm still working on my modification of this beer with moteuka hops and fitting it into BJCP guidelines for an Amber. I'll post it when I buy the ingredients.

Quick Reply