New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Types of Sugar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2006, 05:50 PM   #1
Monk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Types of Sugar

I had to pick up some cane sugar for a cider recipe I'm about to do and I ended up with a product I've never gotten before. I was at the 99cent store and the only cane sugar available was some mexican unrefined granulated cane sugar. Is there any brewing difference between refined and unrefined? This sugar is fairly white, but not as white as the C&H type stuff. It says "azucar morena" on the package ("morena" means brunette, in Mexican spanish) but this doesn't look like brown sugar at all.

(On a side note, I have a package of demerara in the pantry too. I'm tempted to add some to a bitter that calls for some granulated sugar. It's supposed to have a small amount of treacle in it I believe. )

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2006, 10:10 PM   #2
david_42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 130 Times on 124 Posts

You'll get a slight hint of molasses. It might actually be better for the yeast.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply