Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Type of yeasts for a Porter?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2007, 08:16 PM   #11
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 204 Times on 113 Posts

WLP004 is my favorite for stouts.

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2007, 09:09 PM   #12
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

I've done side-by-side batches of porter using Nottingham and London Ale yeast : No difference.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 10-18-2007, 09:49 PM   #13
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 607 Times on 376 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_ajk
What is the difference in the final product though? Are there different flavors, more or less bitter, etc.? it would be neat to see if there was a big difference in the types of yeast used.
Yeast can make a HUGE difference in your beer, but generally with a porter, you should be using strains of yeast that don't impart much flavor.

For the three I posted, here are the differences (all fairly subtle):

Nottingham will finish fairly dry with little to no discernible yeast flavor or nose. It is very aggressive and will likely have the shortest fermentation period of the strains mentioned here. Because of its high activity, it can also create substantial heat during fermentation, so you'll want to keep the fermenter in a cool place - 60-65 degrees.

US-56 is an American ale yeast that ferments a bit less aggressively than Nottingham. It will still leave a very clean flavor profile and will likely not be quite as dry as a beer fermented with Nottingham.

S-04 is an English ale yeast that ferments fast and flocculates very well. It will likely produce a very clear beer relatively quickly. S-04 will finish sweetest of the strains I mentioned here and may produce a few esters, providing a very slight fruitiness that isn't necessarily objectionable. The warmer the ferment, the more pronounced the ester profile.

Old 10-20-2007, 02:31 AM   #14
Gregg Meyer

Recipes 

I too want to just say how much I appreciate you guys answering all my questions. I have been amazed by all you know and all the nuance to this work/play. I don't buy store bought beer anymore it pretty much sucks for the most part. There are a few good ones but most are pretty weak in allot of ways.
Plus it's just damn fun to make yur own. . . get R don.

gregg

Old 10-21-2007, 04:31 PM   #15
desertbronze
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I like Wyeast 1318 - London Ale III - for porters. Makes a nice balanced porter.

Quick Reply