Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > two yeast and one brew

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2009, 06:56 PM   #1
HillbillyDeluxe
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Default two yeast and one brew

Hey all, what are your thoughts on mixing yeast? In particular i get some brewers best kits with dry yeast in thembut i buy some liquid yeast and add to the recipe too. I still use the dry yeast the same way though. I also add some yeast nutrient (ammoniumphosphate) and urea. I know thats more for meads and wines but it seems i like to try weird sh@t. Send me some feedback (even if you think i screwed up).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2009, 08:06 PM   #2
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Well, you run into the possibility of one yeast being dominant over the other, which is quite likely since they compete for nutrients. At least in theory, you may be wasting money on the liquid yeast if the dry yeast dominates and the liquid yeast does not get a chance to express its characteristics.

That said, the major yeast companies do sell yeast blends that you may be interested in trying out. You can also experiment with stalling a fermentation by cold crashing for an extended period of time, racking to another fermenter (thereby getting rid of most of the original yeast), and then pitching a large, active starter of another yeast in there.

Kegged: Fat Man Porter w/ 1469, Fat Man Porter w/ 005, Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong, Dark Mild

Old 01-03-2009, 08:26 PM   #3
Yunus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

You could also split the batch into 2 fermentors and use 1 yeast for each then mix the results.

Old 01-03-2009, 08:50 PM   #4
HillbillyDeluxe
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Hadnt thought of that Yunus. I may try that, i've been pondering a black and tan recipe. Thanks

Quick Reply