Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > two questions about berliner weiss

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2010, 12:38 AM   #1
fredthecat
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 81

Default two questions about berliner weiss

i tried finding the answer, and have noticed that alot of recipes use no-boil at all except for the hops themselves or only a 15 minute boil?

is a 15 minute boil of the wort enough to kill any bad germs (botulism? or??) or.. will that 15 minute boil destroy the lactobacillus?

will brewing with lactobacillus in a particular carboy make it stuck with sourness forever?

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/ques...cillus-138884/ almost answers that question but i cant find out for sure?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2010, 11:35 AM   #2
Oldsock
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 156 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 88

Botulism (along with any other pathogenic organism) isn't an issue with beer because the pH and alcohol kill will it, so no worries there. Lacto will be killed by a 15 min boil. I've had good luck with a hopped mash, decoction, and just heating the beer up to ~210 before chilling/pitching a slurry of lacto and Sacch. Just make sure you keep the IBUs really low.

I use carboys for sours and clean beers and have only had an issue one or two times. A long soak in hot water and Oxyclean/TSP/PBW etc... followed by a long soak with Star-San for the carboy seems to keep my clean beers clean. I have two sets of post cooling equipment otherwise though (tubing, siphon, bottling wands etc...).

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation and my book: American Sour Beers!

Old 03-17-2010, 07:10 PM   #3
fredthecat
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

thanks! hmm, the boil killing the initial lacto spores was my concern as i have no access to any commercial lacto products , also im prety low on equipment.

i wanted to see if i could make a easy berliner weiss from some sludge, but i'll probably have to put that off for now i guess

Old 03-17-2010, 08:59 PM   #4
Doog_Si_Reeb
Beer is Good. And stuff!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I might be getting my bacterias confused, but isn't there a lot of lacto on the grain itself? It seems like you could keep a little grain and not mash/boil it, then add that grain to the wort.

Primary: BohPils3
Kegged: Vienna Lager, Mánagarmr Stout, Ratatoskr IIPA, Cider
Bottled: Yule Gruit

Old 03-22-2010, 07:15 PM   #5
fredthecat
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doog_Si_Reeb View Post
I might be getting my bacterias confused, but isn't there a lot of lacto on the grain itself? It seems like you could keep a little grain and not mash/boil it, then add that grain to the wort.
yeah, i thought i heard thats what some people do too. so do a boil, then wait for it to cool to about 150, add some grain let it sit for a bit and siphon it?

also im doing a lacto fermentation on kimchi right now too heh. cant wait for that to finish

Quick Reply