Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Turn of the last century Mexican homebrew

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2013, 02:48 PM   #21
ianw58
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 42

For 200 quarts of beer, take 7,500 grams, about 15 pounds. [unknown grain] Coriander (2 oz). Hops (375 grams) about 12 ounces. Orange peel (60 grams, or about 12 ounces). Yeast (250 grams/8 ounces)

Boil the hops and the orange peel for an hour in 60 quarts pure water. At 45 minutes into the boil, the coriander should be added to just boil a quarter of an hour, and when (?) this hot is (/) in a barrel of capacity of 200 quarts, which filled with purest water, because this is of major importance. Is (?) by at least 250 grams of yeast (?) in a cup of water and everything is mixed perfectly and with force, and after a few hours, if the yeast is fermenting, put it in the barrel measure a spilled starts filling up with water which in advance is to make a second cooking hops…
…(?), how you made before when foam diminishes is this to take the beer.

Clarify the beer with 4 grams of isinglass or gelatin, which is dissolved in water first; then this is mixed or agitated strongly with a spoon then passed through a fine filter.
After two days put the beer in bottle tied with a wire.

Honey from pilon(?) 150 grams – 5 ounces
Hot water 1500 grams – 3 quarts
Cream of tartar 200 grams – 1 oz
Prepared barely (malted) 500 grams – 1 pound

Cool this mixture so that it does not damage(?) the fermentation.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 02:51 PM   #22
ianw58
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 42

I'm afraid that's the best I can do. It's not much of a recipe and it leaves a lot to be desired as far as details.

Perhaps others can fill in the details.

Old 01-16-2013, 03:03 PM   #23
TopherM
Vinz Clortho - the Keymaster of Gozer the Gozerian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Brew Setups
Recipes 

Liked 420 Times on 333 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Looks like once it all comes together, it's pretty close to a standard White Wit recipe with orange peel and crushed corriander seeds.

Primary #1 - Midnight Ryeder (Midnight Wheat and Rye)
Primary #2 - EMPTY!
Primary #3 - EMPTY!
Secondary #1 - Downtown Flanders Brown (brewed August 2012)
Keg #1 - Oktoberfest
Keg #2 - Chamomile Honey Wheat
Keg #3 - Pumpkin Ale
Bottled - NONE!

Old 01-16-2013, 06:27 PM   #24
HokieBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Piloncillo is a type of unrefined sugar common in Latin American cooking, could be what "Honey from pilon(?) 150 grams – 5 ounces" is...

Now here's a little something that you might not like. My DJ's name is Mix Master Mike.

Old 01-17-2013, 02:32 PM   #25
WileECoyote
Naked Brew !
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 152 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 229

Thanks for the translation ianw58, 200 quarts of beer with only 15 lbs of grain in it? sounds like a watery weak beer to me.
or did I miss something in the recipe?

If Im understanding the recipe right, it looks to me like its a 60 quart mash with the 15 lbs of grain (Im assuming) then boil with additions, then put into the barrel, top off barrel with water, make a yeast starter and add to barrel, add yeast starter to barrel, after krausen falls, prepare and add the rest of the hops, (wait Im assuming again)
Clarify with filtered gelatin for 2 days, then add a prepared and cooled mixture of pilon, water, cream of tarter, malted barley and bottle.

Anyone else getting other information out of this recipe that I missed ?, and a 16 lbs total grain bill for 200 quarts/50 gallons of beer? or is this a 60 quart recipe, boiled down 60 minutes ? that makes more sense to me, but its not how I read the recipe.

Anyone have any insight?

Cheers

WileECoyote
Naked Brew

Bartender Ill have what the gentleman on the floor is drinking.

I have spent more $ on brewing equipment than my truck cost!

Green beer sucks, let it age/condition/finish and become great before drinking it. WileECoyote

Good/Great beer takes time! if you want a quick beer go to the store or bar!

Things come and go. Good beer will live on for ever ! WileECoyote

Quick Reply