Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Trying to put together a Double/Imperial Wit recipe.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2013, 09:47 PM   #21
adamc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

It is coming through the lid? Is the lid broken? Sounds like the seat is bad. Not a good thing.

Two weeks in the primary is probably all you will need. In like 3 days, check the gravity. Give it a good swirl every now and then if you like to do that (I do).

Fix that lid or get it new one. It should not be leaking through the seal. It wouldn't hurt to take the lid off for a minute to clean properly (we all do it when we dry hop anyway).

Maintain sanitation and keep us updated. Depending on how this turns out, I may brew it too.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 09:52 PM   #22
adamc
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I don't think you'll needthe 4-5 weeks at all. No need to let it clarify, it's going to be cloudy. Maybe cold crash for like 3-4 days to drop the bulk of the yeast cause you're bottling.

Just make sure the gravity is steady for 3 days in a row first.

Good luck

Old 02-20-2013, 10:43 PM   #23
Bisco_Ben
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 50

@adamc, I am using the lid that i got with a "true brew" brew kit, but on an "ale pail" that I picked up later at my LHBS. It fits but I guess doesnt quite seal it. I didnt think this was an issue since I have read that the bucket doesnt need to be air tight for the initial fermentation. I guess I will go and buy another $3 lid that is appropriate for the ale pail, but to be honest those dont have a rubber ring so I doubt those will be air tight as well. I will also take off the lid once this crazy blowoff chills out, clean it up as carefully as I can and reapply the new sanitized lid.

Old 02-20-2013, 10:48 PM   #24
Bisco_Ben
Recipes 

ALSO, does anyone think it would be a good idea to add more yeast at bottling time to insure that a big beer like this bottle conditions properly? Or will that be completely unnecessary after just a 4 week primary straight into bottles?

Old 03-05-2013, 08:56 PM   #25
Bisco_Ben
Recipes 

SO a quick update for you guys. I just opened the bucket to check the gravity, and to my surprise, it is at about 1.032 and there is A LOT of krausen/airlock activity still. What gives? I am almost at the 3 week mark and it appears as though I may be stuck. I swirled the bucket and put it next to a radiator so hopefully that helps. Anyone have suggestions on what to do next? Also, the bucket is pretty gross from all of the blowoff, so I was hoping to get this beer into bottles ASAP. Would it be advisable to rack to secondary in order to keep things as sanitary as possible? Any help getting me through this big messy brew would be greatly appreciated!

Old 03-05-2013, 11:18 PM   #26
adamc
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Hmmmm....check it again. Make sure it is the right temp and doesn't have a lot of things floating in it. You described a pretty vigorous fermentation. Could the yeast have been old? I am surprised to hear it is still so high, considering what you wrote before.

You need to let it finish fermenting. Check it three days in a row. If nothing changes, I would add more yeast. Make another starter, dump the entire thing once it is near finished fermenting. Make it a big starter.

If you bottle now, it is going to be way too malty.

Old 03-05-2013, 11:33 PM   #27
Bisco_Ben
Recipes 

It was absolutely above 1.030. When I opened the bucket there was still so much foam on the top that I could not even see the beer itself. I roused the yeast and am warming it up. Will take another reading in a week and assess the situation from there. Just hoping that everything remains sanitary enough until i am able to rack out of the bucket.

Old 03-05-2013, 11:38 PM   #28
adamc
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

You don't necessarily need to wait a week. Check it tomorrow and the next day. If here is no change, repitch. Could your mash temps have been off?

Old 03-05-2013, 11:45 PM   #29
Bisco_Ben
Recipes 

I definitely mashed low. Did 150 for 75 minutes and I have not had mash temp issues at all otherwise.

Old 05-21-2013, 05:12 PM   #30
biodarwin
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Sorry to revive an old thread. How did this turn out?

Quick Reply