Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Trying to design a beer that is like wine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2013, 10:16 PM   #1
seanppp
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Trying to design a beer that is like wine

As the title says, I am trying to design a beer that tastes like wine, or in that ballpark anyway. The purpose is an olive branch, or one might say a gateway beer, to wine drinkers who scoff at beer as a lesser drink. If I can't get my wine drinking family to enjoy IPAs with me, at least I might be able to win them over with a beer whose profile is a little closer to their palate preferences.

Question is, how do I do it? Anybody have any ideas for me?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2013, 10:26 PM   #2
Shakybones
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Is barleywine too obvious?

Old 07-10-2013, 10:30 PM   #3
Cposten
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

I'd say some sort of barleywine. Also if you're ever fortunate enough to come across Nelson sauvin hops scoop them up. Never used or seen them but apparently they have a grape like characteristic to them. If you do find a place to get them please let me know, would live to give them a shot

Old 07-10-2013, 10:53 PM   #4
shelly_belly
Easy Wind
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Rodenbach Grand Cru to me seems very wine-like. I like it.

Old 07-11-2013, 02:56 AM   #5
bassballboy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cposten View Post
I'd say some sort of barleywine. Also if you're ever fortunate enough to come across Nelson sauvin hops scoop them up. Never used or seen them but apparently they have a grape like characteristic to them. If you do find a place to get them please let me know, would live to give them a shot
http://www.yakimavalleyhops.com/prod...sonsauvin1.htm

Old 07-11-2013, 03:11 AM   #6
stpug
Recipes 

Liked 312 Times on 272 Posts
Likes Given: 146

I've never though a barleywine tasted anything like wine; sweet, thick, rich, no tannic bite. A grand cru is more along the lines of the two. Honestly, I've never thought a beer had any resemblance to wine.......

.......and then as soon as I said that I take it back.

Two times I've thought of wine while drinking a beer:
1) 17 years ago I brewed a lightweight american wheat beer using fresh raspberries in a 5 gallon batch. i think I used along the lines of 4-6 lbs of fresh raspberries in the primary. The yeast ate through those like sugar and left the brew dry and tart, with a big time "fruit wine" character.

2) DFH has put out a couple beers that incorporate muscat must (in one) and syrah must (in another), and they both give the dual impression of beer with a wine aspect. My recollection is that the muscat beer was good with some sweet while the syrah beer was okay and semi-dry. They syrah was more red wine-like of the two.

Old 07-11-2013, 03:15 AM   #7
thatjonguy
Now with 57.93% more awesome!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 12 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 267 Times on 188 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Got my wine drinking father in law hooked on La Folie. A kriek or other lambic would be my suggestion. Roddenbach if they like sonething with a little more bite. But you probably should look towards Belgian and French styles.

Old 07-11-2013, 03:36 AM   #8
Shakybones
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpug View Post
I've never though a barleywine tasted anything like wine; sweet, thick, rich, no tannic bite. A grand cru is more along the lines of the two. Honestly, I've never thought a beer had any resemblance to wine.......

.......and then as soon as I said that I take it back.

Two times I've thought of wine while drinking a beer:
1) 17 years ago I brewed a lightweight american wheat beer using fresh raspberries in a 5 gallon batch. i think I used along the lines of 4-6 lbs of fresh raspberries in the primary. The yeast ate through those like sugar and left the brew dry and tart, with a big time "fruit wine" character.

2) DFH has put out a couple beers that incorporate muscat must (in one) and syrah must (in another), and they both give the dual impression of beer with a wine aspect. My recollection is that the muscat beer was good with some sweet while the syrah beer was okay and semi-dry. They syrah was more red wine-like of the two.
Yes, if they crave tannins, you'll need to add some berries.

Old 07-11-2013, 07:13 AM   #9
RonPopeil
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 13

belgian and french beers would be the ticket. the trick is that the ones that remind me the most of wine entail lengthy aging in wood barrels.

make a basic tripel or SWMBO slayer and give it very little carbonation. let it sit for 8 weeks or so to mellow. should get you in the ballpark.

Pipeline:

white IPA using brambling cross and brewer's gold, (ended up using el dorado instead of brambling cross)
Paterbiersbier (pils, special roast, caravienne, strisselspalt)

Old 07-12-2013, 01:02 AM   #10
Cposten
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassballboy
Cool beans. Been nonchalantly searching for a long while. Wish you could get 1oz but $20 for .5lb might just have to buy and store. Thanks for the heads up man!

Quick Reply