Come enter the BrewHardware Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Trying to clone Beer Here Nordic Rye

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2012, 07:47 PM   #1
uberg33k
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Trying to clone Beer Here Nordic Rye

I'm not sure if you've ever had this, but it's really fantastic. I thought I'd give cloning it a go, especially since there are some decent hints on the website as to how it's made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerhere.dk description of Nordic Rye
Brewed from Maris Otter pale ale malt, chokolatemalt, ryemalt,
oats and English and German hops as well as water.
30 IBU, OG: 1085, ABV: 8
So, I'm guessing for a 5 gal batch, it might be...

Maris Otter 7 lbs, 8 oz
Rye Malt 7 lbs, 4 oz
Chocolate Malt 1 lbs, 0 oz
Oats 1 lbs, 0 oz
Fuggles 2 oz @ 60 mins
Styrian Golding 2 oz @ 15 mins
Tettnang 1.5 oz @ 5 mins
White Labs French Ale Yeast

That yields OG 1.080, FG 1.024, IBU 30, Estimated ABV 7.99%

That seems fairly close, but after playing guessing games with a brew calculator for an hour, I can't tell if it seems right or if I just happen to randomly punch things in like a monkey writing Shakespeare. Any thoughts on this? Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2012, 03:15 PM   #2
TommyTaps
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Hey i am formulating a Nordic Style beer recipe or "Sahti" as they call it. How did yours come out? I have done a lot of research on traditional nordic brewing ingredients and procedures. Most breweries use locally grown and processed malt, pharmacy hops, smoked specialty malt, rye malt, bakers yeast, and most immportantly juniper twigs. Juniper twigs are the traditional brewing spice for that region for the last couple hundred years. I just wanted to know if your clone got close, so i can avoid going crazy tracking all of these specialty ingredients down because it may not be necessary!

Old 10-01-2012, 04:39 PM   #3
uberg33k
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyTaps View Post
Hey i am formulating a Nordic Style beer recipe or "Sahti" as they call it. How did yours come out? I have done a lot of research on traditional nordic brewing ingredients and procedures. Most breweries use locally grown and processed malt, pharmacy hops, smoked specialty malt, rye malt, bakers yeast, and most immportantly juniper twigs. Juniper twigs are the traditional brewing spice for that region for the last couple hundred years. I just wanted to know if your clone got close, so i can avoid going crazy tracking all of these specialty ingredients down because it may not be necessary!
Well, the beer I want to clone is a Rye Farmhouse ale and it doesn't have any juniper in it. I've asked all around and have gotten zero help on trying to figure this one out. All I know is it was formulated with consultation from Michael Jackson (the beer one) and it's delicious. I'm working on some other brewing projects for now, so this one is low in the pipeline, but if I figure it out, I'll update this thread.

Old 10-01-2012, 06:43 PM   #4
Schemy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 116

I'm not familiar with the original beer you're trying to clone. Can you give me some tasting notes on it? Are you getting that Rye spice? How is the mouth feel? Slick? Does the beer have that greyish haze you can see from that % of rye? At first glance I would say that is too much Rye, but not knowing the beer it may be right on.

Homebrewers Local 402
www.local402brewers.org
Schemy

ON TAP
Sir Ryland Sour Brown
Earl of Stone Park English Mild w/ Earl Grey Tea
The Magical World of Dunkel
402 Oud Bruin
Poor Mans Porter
Nelson Brett Saison
Smoked Dog Smoked Roggenbier
Not So Black Session IPA

Old 10-05-2013, 02:13 AM   #5
The_Nid_Hog
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Have you cloned it yet? How did it turn out? I'm going to take a shot at it tomorrow, building on the grain bill from The Bruery's Rugsbrod (Beer Here's Andersen has said how much he likes it). I'm going to sub in English hops--either Fuggles or EKG (depending on how I feel in the morning).

Quick Reply