New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Trying to Build an IPA Recipe. Need Feedback




Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2012, 02:31 PM   #11
techbrewie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Fargo, ND
Posts: 299
Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts

Default

I'd like to second the vote on yoopers post.

Also sounds like your pretty committed to brewing. I'd definitely recommend picking up some brewing software like beersmith, brewtoad, promash or strangebrew. They usually have free trials and run you about 20-30 bucks for the full version. Beersmith has been invaluable to me for creating recipes because when you choose your style of beer it gives you guidlines based on gravity, bitterness, sweetness and abv. And while you dont have to follow these generally accepted guidelines its really helps when you want to know if your in the ballpark for the style of beer you want. Also it gives you a really helpful visual of the effects changes in your recipe have on your brew.



__________________

Brew long and Prosper... May the wort be with you... Yippeekayay master brewers... You had me at free beer.

techbrewie is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 09:35 PM   #12
BigHead33
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 85
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Very true, I have been using beersmith for a while. I pretty much use it only for the guidelines feature. I have found it's volumes and calculations dont always jive with my recipe or kit. Besides, I have never determined my brewhouse efficiency so I cant plug that into the software.

Using Yoopers advice I changed up my recipe and plugged it in. It looks pretty damn good. I decided to go with 2oz of warrior for 90mins to make sure I get good bitterness (I have no idea what my hop utilization rate is either) Maybe next brew i'll try some first wort hopping.

I am going to mash at 152 degrees. I am concerned about my sparge process though. (I do not mash out) I heat my sparge water to 170, but by the time in drains down it cools a little. I have noticed my mash temp does not usually go up much during sparging. Is this bad? what should my mash temp (or grain bed temp) be during sparging?

Thanks for all the help guys



__________________
BigHead33 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 11:20 PM   #13
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Atlanta Area, GA
Posts: 1,600
Liked 126 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHead33 View Post
Very true, I have been using beersmith for a while. I pretty much use it only for the guidelines feature. I have found it's volumes and calculations dont always jive with my recipe or kit. Besides, I have never determined my brewhouse efficiency so I cant plug that into the software.

Using Yoopers advice I changed up my recipe and plugged it in. It looks pretty damn good. I decided to go with 2oz of warrior for 90mins to make sure I get good bitterness (I have no idea what my hop utilization rate is either) Maybe next brew i'll try some first wort hopping.

I am going to mash at 152 degrees. I am concerned about my sparge process though. (I do not mash out) I heat my sparge water to 170, but by the time in drains down it cools a little. I have noticed my mash temp does not usually go up much during sparging. Is this bad? what should my mash temp (or grain bed temp) be during sparging?

Thanks for all the help guys
In regards to the BS set up, watch the videos and put in the equipment stuff. Took me literally maybe 2 brew dates of getting info and measuring, to get it dialed in. Now I can shoot in 77% effficiency, and have my profile in there and I can dial it in and out and all over.

It's not too hard really, takes a little time to get all the info and and it's there forever.

The warrior sounds fine. Go for 100 percent on utilization, you'll be close anyways for most of it anyways.

As for the mash, you'll be fine anyways... Try heating your water to 175-180 instead. Simple fix. You won't be extracting any tannins anyways. The water will cool once it hits the grain bed and you stir anyways. That would help you gain some efficiency in the mashing process and make it more predictable. You want to try and raise the grain bed to close to 170.
__________________

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

FATC1TY is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 02:48 PM   #14
BigHead33
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 85
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Thanks for the help. What videos are you talking about with regards to beer smith?

__________________
BigHead33 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 03:16 PM   #15
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Atlanta Area, GA
Posts: 1,600
Liked 126 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHead33 View Post
Thanks for the help. What videos are you talking about with regards to beer smith?
The ones in the help section. I was a bit overwhelmed with the program at first, and I consider myself pretty savvy with the computer and figuring stuff out. Look for the help section on the main page of the website, not in the program.

Once I figured out how to properly "guess" and set up my system as accurate as possible, I was on the right track.

Get a CPVC stick and measure off water in your kettle on it with a marker. You can use it in your kettle during the mash run off, in the boil, and after you cool to check your volumes accurately. Once you know your volumes and boil off times, you can really dial it in almost to a .25 gallon most of the time.

Makes the program a breeze from that point on, I thought. I make a recipe, print it, go mill my grains and get my hop additions in cups with times on them, and I go to town.
__________________

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

FATC1TY is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 06:20 PM   #16
BigHead33
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 85
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Thanks I will try it. Boil off is another thing that I find doesn't jive with what beer smith predicts. I seem to boil off way more volume than it predicts. I use a blichmann burner with a 20 gal boilermaker.

__________________
BigHead33 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 06:31 PM   #17
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 58,658
Liked 3863 Times on 2824 Posts
Likes Given: 646

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHead33 View Post
Thanks I will try it. Boil off is another thing that I find doesn't jive with what beer smith predicts. I seem to boil off way more volume than it predicts. I use a blichmann burner with a 20 gal boilermaker.
That's easy to adjust. Instead of using a "%" of boil off, just put in the volume. I boil off about 1.75 gallons per hour in the winter, less in the summer (when it's more humid- we have a dry winter air here).
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006
Yooper is online now
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 01:46 AM   #18
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Atlanta Area, GA
Posts: 1,600
Liked 126 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHead33 View Post
Thanks I will try it. Boil off is another thing that I find doesn't jive with what beer smith predicts. I seem to boil off way more volume than it predicts. I use a blichmann burner with a 20 gal boilermaker.

Simple to adjust for, do it with plain water, of if you care, your next brew.

Get the CPVC stick I mentioned, fill your kettle with a known gallon, like a milk jug of water. Mark it at each gallon.

If you want to boil it from there for an hour, do so, and check it. That's your boil off rate for 60 minutes.

If you try it with a brew, check it at the start and the end after you cool, and there's the boil off rate.

From there, enter it in BS, and you are set until you change your pot or burner pretty much. More so the pot.
__________________

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

FATC1TY is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 05:00 PM   #19
BigHead33
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 85
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Great advice, thank you. I also notice beer smith tells me to mash at what seems to be a low temp. It's telling me 148 for this recipe. I have been having trouble with very light bodied beer with zero head retention. Very low fg's and high abv's. I'm guessing my mash temps have been too low. What do you think?

__________________
BigHead33 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 11:22 PM   #20
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Atlanta Area, GA
Posts: 1,600
Liked 126 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHead33 View Post
Great advice, thank you. I also notice beer smith tells me to mash at what seems to be a low temp. It's telling me 148 for this recipe. I have been having trouble with very light bodied beer with zero head retention. Very low fg's and high abv's. I'm guessing my mash temps have been too low. What do you think?
You can pick what you want to mash at.. It's probably set for a light body anyways.. You can pick how and what you mash at, and it'll adjust accordingly.

If it's light, go to a medium body, it'll suggest a temp, but you can do whatever you want.. Just edit it.


__________________

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

FATC1TY is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Electrical Diagram feedback for a 50A HERMS Build Rarian Electric Brewing 25 12-01-2012 06:49 PM
Recipe Feedback kevin886 Recipes/Ingredients 0 07-08-2012 01:53 PM
FWH/recipe feedback? Redpiper All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 1 06-27-2012 11:39 PM
Recipe feedback please subervia Recipes/Ingredients 3 01-08-2012 06:38 PM
Dual Electric Build - feedback requested OEHokie DIY Projects 3 07-02-2010 10:19 PM