Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > True Brew All Malt kit - Pilsner Ale???

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2009, 08:46 PM   #1
Brewkowski
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Default True Brew All Malt kit - Pilsner Ale???

Went to the brew shop with some ideas to make a pilsner like ale, but the brew shop guy steered me towards a kit by True Brew. It has a Munton's yeast (not sure what it is), 2 lbs light DME, 3.3 lbs light LME, 2 oz of First Gold hops (half leaf/half pellet). It doesn't mention temperatures and I have no idea what the yeast actualy is. He assured me it was an ale kit and it would be fine. Also the hops and yeast were in the box on the shelf, he said no big deal that their not refrigerated and that they move product quick there. Is there need for concern? I was trying to work out a koelsh or california ale yeast with a light grain bill. He steered me away from jusing just DME and towards a cream ale recipe. Do I need to get different ingredients for anything?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2009, 09:57 PM   #2
sonvolt
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hophead75 View Post
Went to the brew shop with some ideas to make a pilsner like ale, but the brew shop guy steered me towards a kit by True Brew. It has a Munton's yeast (not sure what it is), 2 lbs light DME, 3.3 lbs light LME, 2 oz of First Gold hops (half leaf/half pellet). It doesn't mention temperatures and I have no idea what the yeast actualy is. He assured me it was an ale kit and it would be fine. Also the hops and yeast were in the box on the shelf, he said no big deal that their not refrigerated and that they move product quick there. Is there need for concern? I was trying to work out a koelsh or california ale yeast with a light grain bill. He steered me away from jusing just DME and towards a cream ale recipe. Do I need to get different ingredients for anything?
In my opinion, you will be fine. Brew the kit up like the directions tell you. If it is not inconvenient, I would upgrade to a different yeast, though. If you can find a packet of Nottingham yeast ($2.00 or so), you will like the finished product a bit better. Those Munton's yeast packets are ale packets, and they will work fine, though.

Relax and brew it up!! It should make a good, refreshing summertime ale as long as that Munton's attenuates enough to finish on the dry side.

Old 06-20-2009, 10:26 PM   #3
Brewkowski
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 25

cool. thanks for the reply. I'm adding a little nutrient and i'll make a note to shake the hell out of it for aeration.

Quick Reply