The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > trub from kolsch yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2006, 04:40 AM   #1
drengel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default trub from kolsch yeast

i transferred my kolsch on monday. the trub was the wierdest i've ever seen. it was gray, and was like little balls instead of the thick, uniform trub i usually get. the kolsch also tastes funky. its almost like its too bitter or something, although i don't know how thats possible, and i didn't write down and can't remember the exact taste of it, just wierd. i'm wondering if the wierd trub-funky taste are correlated...any opinions, prior experience, its my first time using kolsch yeast.

also, the only things i did different than usual was do a late add on dme to keep the color in line with the style, and leave it in the primary longer than usual, about a week and a half. it fermented at 66 degrees, and is pretty much fully attenuated at 1.012. don't have my notebook on hand, but it was designed as a quick and dirty after-work brew and is just 5 pounds of extra light dme, and some hallertau for bittering and tettnangs for flavor, something along the lines of 20-25 IBUs, can't remember. i threw it in the fridge right away, so its cold conditioning for a month or until it tastes better, which ever comes first.

drinking: mocha java porter, belgian pumpkin ale, Gary's oatmeal stout clone, AHS nut brown, catamount porter clone, double nut brown, rye pale ale, my oatmeal stout

conditioning: nut brown

next: saison, wit, american wheat, hefe, kolsch, blonde

gone: too damn many

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2006, 12:06 PM   #2
jeffg

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

THe Kolsch yeasts give off some funky odors and don't flocculate very well, so you get some odd coagulation of trub etc. In fact, my krausen never fell on my Kolsch and I had to rack the beer out from under it to the secondary. It will all clear up during the cool secndary phase I imagine. my has been in the secondary for a couple months now and I am getting ready to keg it. Can't wait.

Bottled: Salvator Dopplebock
Up Next: Octoberfest

Old 06-01-2006, 04:24 PM   #3
drengel
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

did yours taste funny also?

drinking: mocha java porter, belgian pumpkin ale, Gary's oatmeal stout clone, AHS nut brown, catamount porter clone, double nut brown, rye pale ale, my oatmeal stout

Old 06-01-2006, 05:42 PM   #4
jeffg

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

not that I recall...

Bottled: Salvator Dopplebock
Up Next: Octoberfest

Old 06-02-2006, 01:34 PM   #5
drengel
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i know others have made kolschs, anyone experience a funky taste coming out of the primary?

Old 06-02-2006, 05:47 PM   #6
psymn
Recipes 

My last kolsch had a funky taste for a while. It finally settled down after about 2 months in bottles. I've had the same yeast thing in my Kolsch.

Matt

Old 06-07-2006, 04:09 AM   #7
fa1321tx
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yes mine had the funky looking trub as well. I have it in the secondary and have yet to try it.

Old 06-07-2006, 10:08 PM   #8
hungsolo
Recipes 

I'm scheduled to rack my first kolsch to secondary on friday. I'll have to look out for the weird trub.

Old 06-21-2006, 10:43 AM   #9
bigears
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I racked my first kolsch last night and came across the same weird looking trub; i was rather surprised by it to say the least. it looked like greyish brown mince meat

I don't know if it tasted funky as such but i wouldn't be in a hurry to drink it in its current state as it's extremely green compared to some of my brews. I got 1.012 too which is not bad for 10 days as i don't normally reach that SG as quickly.

Quick Reply