Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Tropical Fruit Beer Recipe Idea

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2012, 01:22 AM   #1
ehage4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Tropical Fruit Beer Recipe Idea

I had this idea for a tropical fruit beer. I'm still pretty new to brewing, so any suggestions or tips would be great.

For the tropical flavor I want to use mango, pineapple, and orange. I made this recipe by based on other fruit beer recipes on the forum and combining things I thought looked good.

Recipe Type: Extract
Yeast: Belgian Wit Ale (White Labs #WLP400)
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1.052
Final Gravity: 1.012
IBU: 34.0
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 9.1
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 7 days at 70 F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 7 days at 70 F

7 lbs Wheat Liquid Extract [82.4%]
1 lb Caramel 20L Malt [11.8%]
0.5 lb Carapils [5.9%]

0.75 oz Galena [12.50%] (25.2 IBUs) 60 min
0.75 oz Citra [12.00%] (8.8 IBUs) 10 min

Fruits
-20 oz fresh mango
-20 oz canned pineapple
-3 oz orange zest

The fruits/juices will go in the secondary. Any thoughts/criticisms? Thanks in advance!

Last edited by ehage4; 06-08-2012 at 01:56 PM. Reason: updated recipe

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2012, 02:25 AM   #2
Lazersgopewpew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've personally never used pineapple in a beer, but I've had a pineapple beer before, Maui Brewing Companys Mana Wheat.
To be honest, the pineapple flavor comes off really strong so I'd say be careful.

Also, Citra hops have a tropical nature to them so you might want to consider those.
If you want to get a good idea of what Citra hops can taste/smell like I would recommend the Citra version of Hermitage Brewing Companys Single Hop Series IPAs.

Also, you may not want to add the juice from the canned fruit as usually its mostly just some kind of sugar water (check the ingredients) which will kick up fermentation again giving you a higher alcohol content than you might have originally intended and also causing you to have a dryer beer.

Old 06-06-2012, 03:17 PM   #3
BuckettOfBeer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I added 3 pounds of chopped up whole mango to the secondary for one beer. It tasted nice and fruity but I don't think you would ever know that mango was put in it. So what I'm saying is if I did a mango beer again I would definitely use more.

Old 06-06-2012, 05:48 PM   #4
ehage4
Recipes 

Lazers - Citra hops sound great, I will look into them. I just read some more about pineapple in brewing and I think you are right about the flavor being strong. I may reduce the amount of pineapple and increase the mango. And thanks for the heads up about the canned juice, I will be careful with that.

Buckett - Thanks, I think if I reduce the pineapple and increase the mango I will be able to get a good balance.

Does anyone have any opinions on whether I should use oranges/orange juice in the secondary or use orange zest in the boil?

Primary 1: Lemon-Lime Hefeweizen
Primary 2: Mock Kreik Lambic
Secondary 1: American Pale Ale
Secondary 2:
Bottled: Black Magic Porter, Seaside Saison, Head of the Horseman Ale, Cascade Graff, Citra IPA

Old 06-06-2012, 06:16 PM   #5
Johnnyhitch1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 31 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 218 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 3306

i find galena hops to have a very nice mango/pineapple nose and palate
actually really surprised when i used it for a SMASH

Primary: Kicking Cans DIPA, ECY20 Golden sour.
Kegged: Conan the Brown, OBS (Oatmeal brett stout)
Aging: Flanders Red w/ ECY02, All out Brett.
BOTTLES:

Cider: Grapfelwine, Apfelwine, Cranfelwine, Applejack
Beer: NZ Brett (BD:9/16/12)
Mead: Blueberry-lemon, Raspberry-Lime, Habenero, POM, Traditional.
Cellar: Maple Whiskey Barrel Stout, ST Pumking Clone

Old 06-07-2012, 08:09 AM   #6
Lazersgopewpew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Might want to be careful with the citrus, from what I understand it does weird things to head retention.
If you really want that Citrus taste though (lemon, orange etc), I recommend dry hopping with the zest of the desired fruit (be careful not to include the pith, trust me on that one.)

Oh and from what I've read and seen myself, the best way to get the taste of a fruit is to Freeze, puree, boil, then place in secondary for about a week or so (In that order).

Old 06-07-2012, 09:45 PM   #7
WesleyS
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2689 Times on 1752 Posts
Likes Given: 359

I recently added pineapple juice to a honey wheat beer. I added a whole can of frozen dole pineapple concentrate as a late boil kettle addition for a 5 gallon batch. I then used a half a cup of concentrate with a half cup of honey for bottle conditioning. If I didn't know there was pineapple juice added I wouldn't be able to detect it in the finished product. I'll probably add double the amount the next time I get around to brewing that beer again.

Long story short, Beer.

Old 06-08-2012, 12:36 AM   #8
ehage4
Recipes 

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Ok, so I'm going to use orange zest, canned pineapple, and fresh mango, all in the secondary. I'm still working out how much of each. I may also use some zest in the boil. I'm going to puree them all together, so then I can add more of each to taste. I'm going to use Citra and Galena hops instead of Hallertauer.

I'll edit the recipe to account for the changes soon.

Secondary 2:
Bottled: Black Magic Porter, Seaside Saison, Head of the Horseman Ale, Cascade Graff, Citra IPA

Old 06-08-2012, 02:01 PM   #9
ehage4
Recipes 

So I updated the recipe up top. I decided to increase the amount of fruit and not use any juices. I'm going to freeze, puree, and boil the fresh fruit, then add it to the secondary, then rack on top. Does a week in the secondary sound like enough time?

I still have 2 weeks until my primary is available to start this, so any comment/suggestions would still be greatly appreciated.

Secondary 2:

Old 07-09-2012, 07:39 PM   #10
ehage4
Recipes 

So I just racked this to the secondary over a puree of 3 lb of mango and 2 lb pineapple. I used frozen fruit, thawed and blended. I decided to use orange peel in the boil, so the orange flavor is already in there. I also cut down the hops to 0.5 oz each, just in case they overpowered the fruit flavors.

The airlock started bubbling a few hours after racking. The bubbles coming through smell amazing, so I am very excited! In a week (or more, whenever it stops bubbling) I will be bottling it.

Secondary 2:

Quick Reply