Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Troeg's Mad Elf

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2013, 03:28 PM   #21
2BeerSpeer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I think ill try this myself....mad elf is pretty good stuff! Also looking for a clone for Highland Brewings "Cold Mtn. Winter Ale"...

Keg #1 --- ....Empty
Keg #2 --- Highland Brewing- Cold Mtn. Winter Ale
Keg #3 --- Dickens Cider
Keg #4 --- (Nitro) ....Empty
Keg #5 --- Birdsong Brewing- Mexicali Stout
Keg #6 --- Skull Camp Brewing- Knuckle Dragger IIPA
Keg #7 --- Skull Camp Brewing- Lazy Bones Porter

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2013, 01:43 PM   #22
WissaBrewGuy
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by seckert View Post
i am going to keg it so it should be just enough time. I have everything now so i can brew it tomm night as soon as i get off work. do you think i need a starter even if i use a Wyeast 3787 smack pack? i figured that using the high gravity yeast with the smack pack would be sufficient.
If you can, I would suggest it. 3787 is obviously tolerant to higher ABV but it is always good to make a starter. I have not used this yeast before but I am pretty sure the high alcohol yeast are just able to survive in higher alcohol concentration; that doesn't mean they will not produce unwanted esters if under pitched. If you are brewing tonight then it is probably too late unless you make it now and use a stir plate. Mr. Malty suggests a 2 1/3 L starter for this OG (1.095) regardless of yeast.

That being said, you could always just use 2 or 3 packs to properly pitch (Mr. Malty suggests 3.5...)

Success is buried in the garden of failure - Rick Wakeman

Old 10-18-2013, 03:12 PM   #23
seckert
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by WissaBrewGuy View Post
If you can, I would suggest it. 3787 is obviously tolerant to higher ABV but it is always good to make a starter. I have not used this yeast before but I am pretty sure the high alcohol yeast are just able to survive in higher alcohol concentration; that doesn't mean they will not produce unwanted esters if under pitched. If you are brewing tonight then it is probably too late unless you make it now and use a stir plate. Mr. Malty suggests a 2 1/3 L starter for this OG (1.095) regardless of yeast.

That being said, you could always just use 2 or 3 packs to properly pitch (Mr. Malty suggests 3.5...)
see and now i am not sure what to do. I am planning on brewing this today, but i am unable to get my hands on anymore 3787 as my LHBS is out and i would have to drive 1.5 hours or so to get another one. maybe i will brew today, make a starter before i start brewing and when it is going well pitch it. so sometime late tomm i will pitch...seems to be the best case scenario since i wont have time except for today to brew...

Old 10-18-2013, 03:17 PM   #24
wobrien
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1023 Times on 673 Posts
Likes Given: 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by seckert

see and now i am not sure what to do. I am planning on brewing this today, but i am unable to get my hands on anymore 3787 as my LHBS is out and i would have to drive 1.5 hours or so to get another one. maybe i will brew today, make a starter before i start brewing and when it is going well pitch it. so sometime late tomm i will pitch...seems to be the best case scenario since i wont have time except for today to brew...
I don't know, you might get away with it you have a stir plate, big starter and it gets to high krausen at pitching time.

But in all likely hood, I would worry about under pitching with your proposed schedule. If it were me I would postpone brewing rather than risk the whole batch.

Old 10-18-2013, 03:44 PM   #25
WissaBrewGuy
Recipes 

Quote:
I am honestly torn on this one. While I can see wobrien's point, If I were in your shoes I would probably brew today and pitch tomorrow like you have said. Since it is the first time you are brewing this it may be better just to do it but under pitching may give you a wrong impression as to the taste of the beer. As you can see I am wavering in my opinion as I type... Ah hell, just go for it!

Old 10-18-2013, 03:49 PM   #26
seckert
Recipes 

yes i am torn as well...this beer has to be ready on dec 12th and not a day later...so i am on a severe time crunch. if i dont get this going today then it will have to wait another week and not be ready by the 12th since it needs so much conditioning time. i am going to just make the starter today and pitch as soon as i can...

Old 10-18-2013, 03:53 PM   #27
WissaBrewGuy
Recipes 

Quote:
yes i am torn as well...this beer has to be ready on dec 12th and not a day later...so i am on a severe time crunch. if i dont get this going today then it will have to wait another week and not be ready by the 12th since it needs so much conditioning time. i am going to just make the starter today and pitch as soon as i can...
Go for it, then make it again soon with a nice starter and compare the two. That is usually my strategy with these dilemmas.

Old 10-18-2013, 03:58 PM   #28
wobrien
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1023 Times on 673 Posts
Likes Given: 300

You know what, my reading comprehension must be off this morning. I thought you were planning on pitching at the end of your brew day. If you are going to pitch tomorrow, that should give you enough time. But pitch at high krausen and throw in the whole starter, you won't have time to properly cold crash and decant.

Also, be especially anal about your sanitation if you are going to let your wort sit overnight.

Good luck!

Old 10-18-2013, 04:24 PM   #29
WissaBrewGuy
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobrien View Post
Also, be especially anal about your sanitation if you are going to let your wort sit overnight.
I second this. Sanitize multiple times and use an airlock. I have done this before but it came with its share of nerves.

Newsman Likes This 
Old 10-18-2013, 09:30 PM   #30
seckert
Recipes 

well I decided to play it safe and re arranged tomorrow so I can brew...SHMBO isn't super happy, but she knows brewing is important to me so she isn't too bad off...waiting for the smack pack to blow up so I can get the starter going.

Quick Reply