Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Troeg's Mad Elf

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2013, 06:53 PM   #11
oelfool
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

seckett, I just pitted and froze the fruit overnight. I forgot to mention that I've never tried the original brew, but it sounds tasty!

Skål!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2013, 01:16 PM   #12
seckert
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by oelfool View Post
seckett, I just pitted and froze the fruit overnight. I forgot to mention that I've never tried the original brew, but it sounds tasty!
thanks for the info. might be a dumb question but how did you know it was sanitary? i have never used fruit in a beer before except for fruit extract so i dont count that. how do you ensure you arent putting in some nasties that are on fruit into the beer?
the original is pretty damn good, but super expensive!

Old 10-09-2013, 01:58 PM   #13
oelfool
Recipes 

Usually when I make my raspberry ale, I thaw the frozen berries and then heat to just below boing for a few minutes with a little water if necessary. But, for this batch I was in a rush and used the excuse that it had enough alcohol that it would be fine. I've never seen anything definitive that you should boil the fruit, pasturize the fruit or just chuck it in. Might not be a bad idea to heat the cherries up and pasturize them. This is an expensive brew and long wait to risk it. Heating may also add more pectin and create haze, but that's not something I worry about too much yet. Looking forward to trying this one again next year with just cherries and the Westmalle yeast. Thanks WissaBrewGuy for the link.

Skål!

Old 10-09-2013, 04:35 PM   #14
WissaBrewGuy
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The sanitary fruit thing is somewhat of a debate but in general if you are adding them to a secondary fermentation there is very little that is going to infect your beer. The alcohol will kill most things even at a low ABV. There are a ton of threads on here about secondary additions concerns and most of the time the general consensus is "don't worry."

Success is buried in the garden of failure - Rick Wakeman

Old 10-09-2013, 07:26 PM   #15
oelfool
Recipes 

Exactly! The main reason I heat the fruit is because my wife is worried about e-coli, etc. But, sometimes I "forget"...

Skål!

Old 10-10-2013, 02:25 PM   #16
seckert
Recipes 

ok then thanks for the info. Since it is easier and seems to sound safe enough i guess i will just put them in there. im not worried about getting something from the fruit...just was worried about it ruining the beer.

Old 10-10-2013, 02:44 PM   #17
WissaBrewGuy
Recipes 

Well I can't guarantee the fruit will taste good but there is only one way to know! I would just wash the fruit prior to adding it with warm water to get any dust or pesticides off of them.

Old 10-15-2013, 05:50 PM   #18
seckert
Recipes 

Well it seems i am going to be making this sooner rather than later. We are having a beer off for the holidays at work. There are a few of us that brew and a lot of people that like to drink beer. so the rules are holiday beer and it has to be AG. even though i havent made this before if i t comes out close to the real deal then it will be amazing. i just hope that 7-8 weeks is enough for this beer to be drinkable...

Old 10-16-2013, 04:04 PM   #19
WissaBrewGuy
Recipes 

Sounds great! 7-8 weeks should be ok maybe a little rushed if you are bottle conditioning. Just take your time with your primary fermentation and make a HUGE yeast starter so the yeast get a good healthy fermentation.

Old 10-17-2013, 02:10 PM   #20
seckert
Recipes 

i am going to keg it so it should be just enough time. I have everything now so i can brew it tomm night as soon as i get off work. do you think i need a starter even if i use a Wyeast 3787 smack pack? i figured that using the high gravity yeast with the smack pack would be sufficient.

Quick Reply