Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > A triumph in homebrewing: juniper-pale-wit

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2009, 11:05 PM   #1
stpierre
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default A triumph in homebrewing: juniper-pale-wit

I wanted to boast a moment about one of my first real outstanding brews; thanks for bearing with me.

This winter, I wanted to do something with juniper; it sounded festive. But I wanted to soften the blow so I didn't make something that tasted like turpentine. Wikipedia tells us that two common botanicals in gin are bitter orange and coriander -- a combination I naturally recognized from Belgian wits.

So, starting with a Pale Ale kit from my local brew shop, I added a half ounce each of crushed juniper, bitter orange peel, and coriander. Poured warm into a frosty, the end result is stupidly good. It's a wonderful swirl of delicious flavors making sweet love in your mouth. Admittedly, some folks don't like the taste of the juniper, and I think it could have used a bit more coriander, but all in all a good start.

Anyone have any other recommendations for good juniper brews?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2009, 11:33 PM   #2
s3n8
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Sounds interesting. Where did you get the Juniper berries?

Old 01-12-2009, 12:41 AM   #3
stpierre
Recipes 

The local brew shop had them dried. I'd be interested to try fresh, or better yet, a Finnish sahti sparged over the boughs. I'm not quite up for all-grain as yet, though, so that could be a while.

Old 06-23-2010, 04:26 PM   #4
LOM718
Recipes 

Hey, I know this is an older thread. But I'm looking for ideas in making a Rye Juniper Belgian-ish ale (similar to a Sahti, but I'm not set up for all-grain yet). The additions of juniper, bitter orange and coriander sound great - I assume these were added either near the end of the boil or at flameout?

Thanks!!

Old 06-23-2010, 07:19 PM   #5
bovineblitz
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 37

What hops were in your pale ale?

Old 06-24-2010, 06:05 PM   #6
Mahanoy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just bottled a juniper rye ale (sort of an American amber base with 1.5# rye, an ounce of juniper berries at flameout and lower hops). Recipe here. Juniper is a great spice for so many styles, but I never thought of adding it to a wit - that's definitely going on the list!

Primary: Belsnickel Spiced Christmas Ale; Secondary: None; Bottled: Machandelbaum Juniper Rye Ale, Blanche de Brentli Lavender Wit, Nutella Chocolate Hazelnut Sweet Stout; Up Next: Bauerntrampl Dunkelweizen

Quick Reply