Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Tripel/Golden Strong Special Recipes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2012, 07:13 PM   #11
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 720 Times on 531 Posts
Likes Given: 277

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleF View Post
Using Belgian candi sugar makes a difference in taste compared to cane sugar.
a lot of people will disagree with that statement. candi sugar crystals are simply inverted sugar and some coloring. no belgian brewery that i know of uses "belgian candi" crystals. they all use plain table sugar or candi syrup. candi syrup will impart flavor.

Drinking: galaxy/conan IPA, a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend
Aging: imperial chocolate stout, sour cherry mead, rye sour ECY20/ECY34 split, oud bruin & a few other sours, acerglyn, a BDSA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 10:29 PM   #12
WhiteDog87
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcell View Post
a lot of people will disagree with that statement. candi sugar crystals are simply inverted sugar and some coloring. no belgian brewery that i know of uses "belgian candi" crystals. they all use plain table sugar or candi syrup. candi syrup will impart flavor.
Just out of curiosity, what is "inverted sugar"? And by that I mean what is the process or what do they do to it that makes it inverted?

Also do you know what flavors candi syrup will impart?

Old 11-21-2012, 02:04 AM   #13
TripleF
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Candi sugar and candi syrup come from beets and I would view the flavors as equivalent. Cane sugar comes from sugar cane and never really imparts the same flavors. I'm a fan of Tripels and I can usually taste when a beer has the candi sugar (in either rock or syrup form).

Old 11-21-2012, 04:15 AM   #14
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 720 Times on 531 Posts
Likes Given: 277

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteDog87 View Post
Just out of curiosity, what is "inverted sugar"? And by that I mean what is the process or what do they do to it that makes it inverted?
lots of threads have already covered this:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/how-...-sugar-276785/
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/inve...dy-sugar-8359/
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/cand...-sugar-273112/

Quote:
Also do you know what flavors candi syrup will impart?
http://www.candisyrup.com/index.html
http://www.darkcandi.com/d.html + http://www.darkcandi.com/d2.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleF View Post
Candi sugar and candi syrup come from beets and I would view the flavors as equivalent.
that is true for clear candi syrup, maybe. but there are no candi crystals that can mimic the taste of dark syrup.

Drinking: galaxy/conan IPA, a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend
Aging: imperial chocolate stout, sour cherry mead, rye sour ECY20/ECY34 split, oud bruin & a few other sours, acerglyn, a BDSA

Old 11-21-2012, 11:16 AM   #15
Piratwolf
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 82

IMHO, and I've not passed the BJCP tasting part yet so take it with a grain of salt, if you want to make a style stand out it's about perfecting your process rather than adding things that are not to style. I've only judged in four competitions, but the beers that have stood out (not just to me but to the other judges) are those that are well made and well fermented. If you feel you must add spices, I'd echo the call for subtlety.

Just my 2 cents.

jmendez29: Haha! I get it! :ban:
Wait. You're not talking about beer, right?
You're talking about beer. That could have been a whole lot more fun.

Old 11-21-2012, 04:08 PM   #16
bchurch
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piratwolf
IMHO, and I've not passed the BJCP tasting part yet so take it with a grain of salt, if you want to make a style stand out it's about perfecting your process rather than adding things that are not to style. I've only judged in four competitions, but the beers that have stood out (not just to me but to the other judges) are those that are well made and well fermented. If you feel you must add spices, I'd echo the call for subtlety.

Just my 2 cents.
I agree with this whole heartedly, from what I noticed so far in competitions it's the well made to style beers that win the medals. The specialty ones usually don't take home the gold.(not to say they can't).

Old 11-21-2012, 04:40 PM   #17
WhiteDog87
Recipes 

Im waiting to see how it turns out, but If the extra ingredients I added have anything more than a subtle background note, then I am going to call it a Belgian Specialty Ale, instead of a Tripel for competition.

My inspiration for making a Tripel with some unique ingredients was definitely inspired by my recent trip to "The Bruery" in Placentia CA. I had their special holiday beer called "5 Golden Rings" which was either called a tripel or belgian golden ale with pineapple juice and spices. it was delicious and way too drinkable for its 10% ABV

Old 11-21-2012, 08:49 PM   #18
Piratwolf
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Quote:
Im waiting to see how it turns out, but If the extra ingredients I added have anything more than a subtle background note, then I am going to call it a Belgian Specialty Ale, instead of a Tripel for competition.

My inspiration for making a Tripel with some unique ingredients was definitely inspired by my recent trip to "The Bruery" in Placentia CA. I had their special holiday beer called "5 Golden Rings" which was either called a tripel or belgian golden ale with pineapple juice and spices. it was delicious and way too drinkable for its 10% ABV
Sounds amazing! Glad to see you have a plan & a back-up. I hope you'll post back with your results!

jmendez29: Haha! I get it! :ban:
Wait. You're not talking about beer, right?
You're talking about beer. That could have been a whole lot more fun.

Old 12-12-2012, 10:07 PM   #19
WhiteDog87
Recipes 

I just tasted my hydrometer sample from my Tripel with apple juice and cinnamon and it tasted awesome! My fiance is a huge fan of tripels and strong belgian beers and she was even more excited about the beer than I was. Hopefully its carbed up by christmas! Will definitely be brewing this one again!

Quick Reply