Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Tripel/Golden Strong Special Recipes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2012, 09:16 PM   #1
WhiteDog87
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Default Tripel/Golden Strong Special Recipes

I am going to make a Belgian Tripel or Golden Strong Ale this week and I was wondering If any of you out there had any good ideas or recipes to put a little twist on the recipe.

I know that pretty much all of the beers character for this kind of beer comes from the flavorful and aromatic Belgian yeast, so I am looking for any thing else I could add to the beer, that would not throw the flavor out of balance and add a nice subtle complexity to it.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 09:31 PM   #2
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 382 Times on 311 Posts
Likes Given: 119

The most basic Tripel is 80% pils, 20% sugar, bitter to a .375 BU:GU ratio with 2/3 of the IBU's at 60, 1/3 at 30.

To add a little complexity you can add a little Munich (3-5 %). I also have tried some Turbinado sugar instead of plain white sugar. It adds a subtle difference.

If you add any spices, such as corriander or orange peel, add very little so the flavor is barey noticable. I prefer a simple tripel but that is my taste.

You are right, the yeast is the star, so different yeasts will produce differnt flavor. They all are good, but my favorite is 3787, followed closely by 1214. 3522 is another good one.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:42 PM   #3
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 670 Times on 498 Posts
Likes Given: 264

in the tripel issue of BYO, they suggested that a tripel could have up to 10% of either munich or wheat - so 70% pils, up to 10% munich or wheat, and 20% sugar. beergolf's earlier suggestion of 80 pils/20 sugar is indeed the more classical tripel recipe.

Drinking: a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend, wet-hopped harvest ale x 2, second runnings dark ale with vanilla
Fermenting: (nothing active)
Aging: imperial chocolate stout, sour cherry mead, oud bruin & a few other sours, acerglyn, a BDSA

Old 11-12-2012, 09:44 PM   #4
WhiteDog87
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by beergolf View Post
The most basic Tripel is 80% pils, 20% sugar, bitter to a .375 BU:GU ratio with 2/3 of the IBU's at 60, 1/3 at 30.

To add a little complexity you can add a little Munich (3-5 %). I also have tried some Turbinado sugar instead of plain white sugar. It adds a subtle difference.

If you add any spices, such as corriander or orange peel, add very little so the flavor is barey noticable. I prefer a simple tripel but that is my taste.
What is Turbinado sugar and what did it add to your beer? (I'll google it lol)

I too enjoy a nice clean simple Tripel, but i plan on entering mine into a competition for mainly Tripels and Golden Strong Ale's, so I wanted to do something to make it stand out.

Have you had any luck with adding citrus?

Old 11-12-2012, 09:50 PM   #5
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 382 Times on 311 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteDog87 View Post
What is Turbinado sugar and what did it add to your beer? (I'll google it lol)

I too enjoy a nice clean simple Tripel, but i plan on entering mine into a competition for mainly Tripels and Golden Strong Ale's, so I wanted to do something to make it stand out.

Have you had any luck with adding citrus?
Turbinado is a less refined cane sugar. It is a little darker, so if you are going to enter it into a comp, check the SRM to see if it stays in guidlines. It just adds a subtle difference in the flavor. Hard to explain.

Old 11-13-2012, 01:21 AM   #6
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 255 Times on 228 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by beergolf View Post
I also have tried some Turbinado sugar instead of plain white sugar. It adds a subtle difference.

You are right, the yeast is the star, so different yeasts will produce differnt flavor. They all are good, but my favorite is 3787, followed closely by 1214. 3522 is another good one.
What does the Turbinado do? I've never used it, just plain sugar.

For the OP: Add Grains of Paradise, Corriander, or orange zest, but as BG noted, it needs to be subtle. If you can tell what it is, it is too much, and the judges might think so too.

Old 11-13-2012, 09:13 AM   #7
Climber
Recipes 

I too was thinking of making Tripel soon. I'd like to have a thick lacy head on it. I know cara-pils or more appropriately the wheat in this recipe will help with head retention. How do you make the tiny bubbles that lace the rim? Skip the protease rest?
Not trying to hijack you White Dog. I'm sure this info can't hurt your recipe.

Old 11-13-2012, 05:06 PM   #8
WhiteDog87
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climber View Post
Not trying to hijack you White Dog. I'm sure this info can't hurt your recipe.
No worries, info never hurts. I think using a good Belgian pils malt helps with the lacing too, along with the wheat you were talking about.

After thinking about it some more I think I may turn my recipe into a "Belgian Specialty Ale" because I want to make something really interesting and unique for this competition, and doing that will probably change the beer so it dosnt fit in the style guidelines. Or hey, I just might make both!!!

Old 11-13-2012, 05:56 PM   #9
bchurch
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 29 Posts

Spices typically are not used in a Belgian golden strong, so if you add spices, like say corriander which is like a La Chouffe enter it in cat. 16E Belgian specialty.

Old 11-20-2012, 05:08 PM   #10
TripleF
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Using Belgian candi sugar makes a difference in taste compared to cane sugar.

Also, as far as a twist, using a small amount of coriander and orange peel (a teaspoon of each in a grain bag) for 5-10 minutes of the boil will add complexity but not overwhelm the recipe.

I use WLP500 or WLP530.

Quick Reply