New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > A Tribute to Hunahpu

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2013, 03:53 PM   #21
yoitsluke
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I'm going to try this, this weekend. Will post results

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2013, 07:16 PM   #22
WhizardHat
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoitsluke View Post
I'm going to try this, this weekend. Will post results
Please, don't forget to report back and let us know how the brew day goes! If you make any changes to the recipe or anything, that would be excellent to know about as well. I'm excited to see the first wave of tasting notes from this recipe thread!

In other news, I'm not quite ready to brew yet, but I sent the following note to Wayne Wambles, and am anxiously awaiting his reply:

Quote:
Hi Wayne,
I'm a homebrewer, and former Florida resident, and a huge fan of your work! Given the cult-like following that surrounds the annual release of Hunahpu each year, I bet you'd be just as surprised as me to learn that very few attempts have been made at cloning your recipe. I'm hoping to change that, and I hope that's okay with you.
There's a great deal of "folk-lore" surrounding this beer as well, and I'm writing you today in hopes that you can help me see through the fog, and craft a beer that will at least serve as a tribute to your creation. So, without any further pomp/circumstance, I ask if you would answer as many of the following as you're willing. If none, I completely understand, and I will continue to look forward to my eventual return to Florida, such that I can try another CCB invention.
- Word on the street is that the Thames Valley strain is the CCB house yeast, but folks are unsure if that's used in Hunahpu, due to the relatively low alcohol tolerance of the yeast. Any comment?
- Some have said that less than 50% of the grain bill is your base malt. True/False?
- The best bit of folk lore: "CCB fills their mash tun 3 times when brewing Hunahpu, and only uses the first runnings. When it reaches 17 Plato, they use the remaining sugars for other beers". If that one's true, major respect. That must make for a devilishly long brew day!
- Marshal Zhukov is or is not the base beer for Hunahpu.
- All EKG hops?
- In your 2010 (?) interview with the Brewing Network, I believe you mentioned that you used cinnamon in the mash. Is that correct?
- Would you be willing to comment on the amounts/ratios of the secondary additions of cacao, cinnamon, ancho, pasilla?
Again, huge fan of not just this beer, but really all of them. I keep telling my Michigan friends about Maduro Brown, and most of them can't believe a brown ale is as good as I say! If you like, I'd be happy to send a bottle to you as thanks.
Cheers,

Old 05-02-2013, 02:27 AM   #23
Oophaga
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 176

Nicely written. Worst case scenario you reminded him how much everyone loves his beer and he declines. Lets hope for at least something in reply ;-). I know e is super secretive about that and jai alai.

Love this thread.

Old 05-02-2013, 01:03 PM   #24
WhizardHat
Recipes 

If you're looking for a Jai Alai recipe, check out this podcast. He gives the recipe out at the end of the interview.

Old 05-02-2013, 02:10 PM   #25
Oophaga
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 176

Oh damn. Things are getting interesting. Thanks for the link!! A buddy was up at the brewery and brought back white oak jai alai that was bottled less than a week ago! So delicious. The best though I got to drink some jai alai straight from the fermenter as they were clearing it. Amazing.

Old 05-07-2013, 12:42 PM   #26
WhizardHat
Recipes 

Straight from the horse's mouth:

Quote:
I don't hand out recipes. This is what I say every time that I receive requests. I have given out recipes on the Brewing Network and in a couple of books but I don't feel like it helps anyone learn anything or come into their own as a brewer.

I will answer what I can:

- Word on the street is that the Thames Valley strain is the CCB house yeast, but some folks are unsure if that's used in Hunahpu, due to the relatively low alcohol tolerance of the yeast. Any comment?
Thames Valley was the first house strain that we fermented our beers with. We no longer use this yeast because it isn't flocculant enough to meet our brewing needs. We discontinued this yeast early last year and replaced it with Wyeast 1968. We have successfully been able to get this yeast to ferment over 13% ABV and it flocs beautifully. The lab sheets aren't always accurate. If you treat the yeast correctly, it will work beyond what the spec sheets say.
- Some have said that less than 50% of the grain bill is your base malt. True/False?

That is true. I recently supplied that information in an email to another person interested in making Zhukov. You guys are good at sharing. That was only about 3 weeks ago. I guess I have to be careful about answering emails like this. Ha!
- The best bit of folk lore: "CCB fills their mash tun 3 times when brewing Hunahpu, and only uses the first runnings. When it reaches 17 Plato, they use the remaining sugars for other beers". If that one's true, major respect. That must make for a devilishly long brew day!

We mash in two to three times depending on which brew house we brew the beer on. We usually don't save the runnings to make another beer. If we do, it is for very small amounts on our pilot system. We usually just dump the residual runnings down the drain. Let me make this clear as well...this beer is an all malt beer. We don't add corn sugar or any other sugar to the kettle to boost the gravity. Target OG for this beer is 31-32 plato.
- Marshal Zhukov is or is not the base beer for Hunahpu.

Is the base beer.
- All EKG hops?

My, that would be expensive wouldn't it? I suggest using all Magnum. Hop character is not a big component of this beer. We use Magnum and hops that provide dark fruit/candy flavors.
- In your 2010 (?) interview with the Brewing Network, I believe you mentioned that you used cinnamon in the mash. Is that correct?

No. We don't use cinnamon in the mash. It is added post fermentation to secondary.
- Would you be willing to comment on the amounts/ratios of the secondary additions of cacao, cinnamon, ancho, pasilla?

I won't comment on amounts. I will fill in the gaps. Cacao(only from a certain region of the world), cinnamon(a specific type of cinnamon), ancho, pasilla, guajillo(all chiles dried and chopped) and vanilla beans(specific type).

Hopefully, you can fill in the gaps. Don't make my beer though. Make your beer. You version. Your idea. Who cares what I brew? Design something that is solely yours and pat yourself on the back.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:49 PM   #27
WhizardHat
Recipes 

I like that he draws the line of "too expensive" at EKG hops, rather than a malt bill that is quite literally double that of most beers.

EDIT: Not to say I don't completely agree. It takes a lot of EKG to get to 80 IBU.

Old 05-07-2013, 02:49 PM   #28
skibb
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Wayne's the man! Very helpful info! It's really cool brewers like him take the time to reply and, on top I that, do a good job at answering questions without giving too much away

Old 05-07-2013, 04:48 PM   #29
WhizardHat
Recipes 

Skibb, Were you the guy that Wayne was talking about having given the 50% grist number to?

Old 05-07-2013, 06:01 PM   #30
skibb
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 42

yup hah - he's onto us!

So - here's so far what I've come up with so far...
5.25 gallon batch (70% eff)
OG: 1.137 (31 P)
FG: 1.053 (13 P)
ABV: 11%

13# 4 oz Maris Otter - 47%
5# 8 oz Munich II - 20%
2# 14 oz Flaked Barley - 10%
2# Chocolate - 7%
2# Roasted Barley - 7%
14 oz Black Patent - 3%
14 oz Dark Crystal (Hugh Baird) 150L - 3%
14 oz Crystal Malt (Thomas Fawcett) 60L -3%
28.25# total

Boil for 90-120 minutes
3 oz Magnum (14% aa) @ 75 minutes - 80 IBU

Added in Secondary to make it Hunahpu'ish:
1 stick of Ceylon Cinnamon
1 Madagascar Vanilla Bean
4 oz Peruvian Cacao Nibs
1 oz Ancho Pepper (dried, deseeded, chopped)
.5 oz Pasillia Pepper (dried, deseeded, chopped)
.5 oz Guajillo (dried, deseeded, chopped)

The Hopville guy said his pepper presence was too pronounced with 2.5 oz total, so I scaled it back a little bit.

Not sure when I'm going to have the time to brew this up, but it is definitely on the queue

Quick Reply