New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > A Tribute to Hunahpu

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2013, 01:08 AM   #201
VSGLS1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Had MZ on tap tonight. #Flamesuit on

Old 09-08-2013, 02:47 AM   #202
WhizardHat
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSGLS1 View Post
whatever

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2013, 02:50 AM   #203
allenH
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1962 Times on 1064 Posts
Likes Given: 894

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSGLS1
I ain't mad at 'cha. I've never had it on tap, what did you think?

Old 09-09-2013, 01:33 AM   #204
VSGLS1
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I like from the bottle better. No head on tap. Still very good!

Old 09-09-2013, 02:51 AM   #205
Oophaga
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 176

How's everyone feel about such a crazy wort with no pure o's? Seems one option is to use agitation and reoxygenate after 18 hours? Any other suggestions? Not looking forward to spending 60+ for the kit and tank.

Old 09-09-2013, 12:57 PM   #206
allenH
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oophaga
How's everyone feel about such a crazy wort with no pure o's? Seems one option is to use agitation and reoxygenate after 18 hours? Any other suggestions? Not looking forward to spending 60+ for the kit and tank.
I poured back and forth between 2 fermenters until it was really frothy, then pitched. I did it again after 18 hours, like you mentioned, it really took off after that. The krausen ring was about 16" up on both the buckets.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:35 PM   #207
Oophaga
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenH View Post
I poured back and forth between 2 fermenters until it was really frothy, then pitched. I did it again after 18 hours, like you mentioned, it really took off after that. The krausen ring was about 16" up on both the buckets.
How is your recipe coming along? I was curious about yours. Haven't bottled yet correct?

Whizard Hat did you use pure o2?

Thanks,

Ryan

Old 09-09-2013, 05:29 PM   #208
allenH
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:

How is your recipe coming along? I was curious about yours. Haven't bottled yet correct?

Whizard Hat did you use pure o2?

Thanks,

Ryan
It's coming along. I just racked both fermenters (3gal in each) into a single bucket, looks like I have a little over 5.5gal. It went from 1.114 to 1.032, so about 10.75%. The taste is all chocolate. Tons of chocolate and it's pretty boozy. I had to punt when all my LHBS had was black roast barley (650-750L), so I dropped it to 2lbs, it is definitely lacking the roast flavor.
I am currently waiting for the groom to finalize his secondary additions, I think this is going to end up with some bourbon soaked oak, a bit of lactose (ala Moat Water), and since the roast isn't there, cold steeped espresso at bottling. Maybe.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:49 AM   #209
Oophaga
Recipes 

Hearts only carries Muttons as well, I am fairly sure its the same as your referring to, super dark. I have never adjusted for the color difference and never wish I had. Never noticed overly roast flavors in my beers either, maybe it'll work well with the Hunahpu clones, even darker! Surprised how low it's finishing! Good to know. I want a fg of about 1.039+ for that crazy viscosity. Of course that makes balancing the sweetness even more of an importance. Did it have a pretty serious mouth feel?

Also, no surprise a 10.75% is boozy seeing its not even bottled yet! I bet it'll be fantastic 6+mo's in. I'm almost to the point of being able to only try one 12 oz a month to stop myself from drinking all my big beers before properly aged. I'm generally very bad at that.

Old 09-10-2013, 01:23 AM   #210
allenH
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Hearts only carries Muttons as well, I am fairly sure its the same as your referring to, super dark. I have never adjusted for the color difference and never wish I had. Never noticed overly roast flavors in my beers either, maybe it'll work well with the Hunahpu clones, even darker! Surprised how low it's finishing! Good to know. I want a fg of about 1.039+ for that crazy viscosity. Of course that makes balancing the sweetness even more of an importance. Did it have a pretty serious mouth feel?

Also, no surprise a 10.75% is boozy seeing its not even bottled yet! I bet it'll be fantastic 6+mo's in. I'm almost to the point of being able to only try one 12 oz a month to stop myself from drinking all my big beers before properly aged. I'm generally very bad at that.
I don't remember the brand off hand, when I ran the recipe through beer calculus (I'm a cheap bastard), it came out to 83srm with the 300L roast barley. So with the 650-750L, it would have made the srm out of control, so I cut a pound and added a pound Munich II. live and learn I guess.
Had I hit my OG, it should have finished in the high 30's, low 40's. I had too much going on, I had planned on a double mash and 2 hour boil, what I didn't plan on was the humidity reducing my boil off rate so much. When I tested my keggle, I boiled off 1.5gal per hour (in February) with a medium-hard boil. So I collected 9gal to finish with 6. Luckily I measured the boil off the first during the first hour of the boil (burner going full blast) and tested the gravity every 30 minutes. My gravity was coming in too low, so at the 2 hour mark, I added the remainder of the runnings from the second mash (about 2 gallons). 3 hours later, I added my hops. This beer whipped my ass.
The color is there, the body is there. The samples cling to the glass when swirled, just like the Zhukov I had a few weeks ago. It is only missing the heavy roast notes. I am serious when I say heavy chocolate, it tastes like boozy chocolate milk. It will be interesting to see how this beer finishes up.

Quick Reply