Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Trader Joe's Pumpkin Butter.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2012, 02:00 PM   #1
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Default Trader Joe's Pumpkin Butter.

I just heard a commercial for Trader Joe's Pumpkin "Butter" (No butter/fat in it) and thought it might be interesting to use in a pumpkin beer.

Evidently it has no artificial ingredients or preservatives and is made up of only Pumpkin,sugar, honey,lemon juice concentrate,spices.

The commercial says it is intensely flavored.

I don't know if it's usable or not....It may be too pectiny to work, but we add pumpkin goop in our beers all the time. Sticking it in the mash tun is always a viable alternative, because the grain often absorbs and filters out stuff.

I wonder about using it somehow to prime with. But that might be too cloudy.

The biggest thing is the cost...It's like 3 bucks for a 10 ounce jar.

It may be interesting to use that much in a 1 gallon batch of a pumpkin ale to see.

Any thoughts?

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 04:02 PM   #2
igotsand
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 97 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 9

How does it taste?
It's sounds good for a spread on toast or muffins...
Igotsand

Old 11-13-2012, 04:29 PM   #3
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 228 Times on 191 Posts

I've never had that but it reminds me of the apple butter my grandmother used to make that's a similar recipe but obviously with apple instead of pumpkin. Spectacularly delicious but a lot of the flavor and aroma I could see getting destroyed by the boil, like boiling honey. I don't know how much of the flavor would carry through. I also don't know how much of the flavor would come across since the honey is going to ferment out. Might be cheaper to just use spices and canned pumpkin and end up with the same effect.

Old 11-13-2012, 04:44 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

I just heard about it today...I don't know how it tastes.

What I'm curious about Reverseapache, is how strong the flavor is. The commercial (whether true or not) is talks about how intense it is. I'm wondering if it's like making a reduction in cooking, that by reducing it down so much is it stronger tasting then anything we can easily do...i.e. Is once 10 ounce the result of let's say 5 pumpkins and corresponding spices reduce, over 1 can of pumpkin and spice like we normally use. If that makes sense. If it's super concentrated, it might be worth it...but who knows without tasting it.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-13-2012, 07:31 PM   #5
lou2row

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 24

That is how they make apple butter Rev. Big cauldron and an all day affair. Used to live down from a cider mill, and once a year they made a huge batch of apple butter.
I would think you'd get better mileage from secondary addition, over throwing in the boil. I'd guess unofficially that that one jar is AT LEAST one big can of pumpkin. If not two.

disclaimer; I have not stayed at a Holiday Inn in the recent past.

Revvy Likes This 

Quick Reply