Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Torrefied Wheat versus regular unmalted wheat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2008, 09:46 PM   #1
kscomp0
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Torrefied Wheat versus regular unmalted wheat

I am working up a recipe for a Wit with 60% Pilsner, 35% unmalted wheat, and 5% oats, but I am running into some confusion over the benefits/use of torrefied versus regular unmalted wheat.
Beersmith states:
"Unmodified wheat that has been "popped" to open the kernels
Used primarily in place of raw wheat when making Belgian White and Wit
Faster conversion and higher yield than raw wheat
Protein rest recommended when mashing."

My recipe currently calls for a cereal mash of soft white unmalted wheat with oats and a portion of the pilsner.
Can I forgo the cereal mash for a stepped temperature mash if I use torrefied wheat?
Additionally, if the torrefied let's me skip the cereal mash, what type of oats should I use?
Is there a taste difference between the torrefied and regular unmalted wheats?

My planned mash schedule is:
100F (15 min) beta glucanase rest, 122F (15 min) protein rest, 154F (45 min) sacch rest, 168F (10 min) mash out.

Should I increase the temperature of the protein rest if I use the oats without a cereal mash?

Basically, I am looking for some advice and recommendations on using unmalted wheat and oats.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Cheers.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2009, 05:49 AM   #2
friday
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Ive done a wheat beer with 60% unmalted wheat. What i do is cook the wheat in a double boiler for a hour then ad it to the mash turn bring it down to 120 deg then add 1oz enzimes for 40 min. after that i go up to 150 deg. and add 20% six row and 20% malted wheat for a hour sparge out at 170 deg. makes a realy good brew.

So i know your asking your self why in the world would i use 60% unmalted wheat. Well my local brew shop has a bad case of cranium rectum inpact syndrome. There out of every thing all the time. i orderd a 50lb bag of 2 row pale at a price of 74 dollars ya i know extortion. its been 6 weeks and its still not hear. So i have to get creative this week im doing a oat beer with feed grad oats lol might be ok we will see.

Old 06-05-2009, 12:56 PM   #3
Oldsock
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 65

Torrefied and flaked/rolled unmalted grains have been gelatinized (making their starches available for enzymatic action) so they do not need the cereal mash. So for your step mash you would need oats that have been gelatinized (I just use Quaker oats).

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation and my book: American Sour Beers!

Last edited by Oldsock; 06-05-2009 at 02:22 PM.

Old 06-05-2009, 01:21 PM   #4
Tonedef131
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Torrified will be easier to work with and afford you to forgo the cereal mash. I think using torrified in the mash schedule you have there would be ideal, and you will likely get better efficiency that if using raw wheat.

Quick Reply