New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Too much hops in my english pale ale?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2009, 01:32 PM   #1
bankerbrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Too much hops in my english pale ale?

I brewed a pale ale last sunday - as usual, I had my recipe "in the vault", which is my nickname for my pea brain. Here it is:

8 lbs breiss 2 row pale ale malt
1 lb 40L crystal
2 tsp gypsum

mash for 70 minutes at 152 degress

sparge water 5.5 gallons @ 165 degrees

I had about 6.5 gallons of wort and brought to a boil. Added 1.5 lbs of organic light brown sugar (another goof - my recipe was for 1 lb, but I opened the pack and dumped it. THEN I read that the package was 1 lb, 8 oz. Sensing a theme here? Adult ADHD and brewing are contradictory!)

For my bittering hops I used 1 oz Fuggles and 1 oz Northern Brewer (I think, dangit. I am at work and my notes are at home. ugh.) I do know that one of them was 4% alpha and one was 4.6% alpha. I used no aroma or finishing. That was it. I now realize that I had intended to hold back about .5 oz for the last 15 minutes.

Did I give any of you pros enough info to know if you think it will be too bitter for the style? Too bitter period? For the record, I like a little balance, but I am by no means a hophead.

BTW, my OG was at 1.052.

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2009, 01:44 PM   #2
BobOscarBob
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

If your Northern Brewer were really 4-4.5%, you've got about 33 IBUs, within the range of 20-40 by style. If you hit 1.052, BTW, you've also got around 79% efficiency, if I ran this right. [edit] I didn't - 'cuz I left out the 1.5 lbs of sugar...closer to 58%...[/poor math skillz]

Northern Brewer are normally ~8.5 (7.5-10.0) IIRC, so if your NB was a bit higher, say ~8, then your IBUs jump to 46-ish, outside the style...still very tasty in my book!

Bob

Last edited by BobOscarBob; 11-11-2009 at 01:48 PM. Reason: Math? Yea right...

Old 11-11-2009, 02:03 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 130 Times on 124 Posts

I'd say you've got a good Extra Special Bitter going, which is a standard Pale style. Occasionally, we need to remind ourselves that the American IPA has very little in common with traditional pales, other than color.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 11-11-2009, 02:09 PM   #4
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 466 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 65

The hops look fine to me, but if your worried about being in style, then it may be a bit dry with the extra sugar and the 152F mash. There won't be the maltiness for the style. It's still going to be good though.

Does this dress make my willy look big? ~ Ben Franklin

Old 11-11-2009, 02:49 PM   #5
Teacher
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I've said it before and I'll say it again: the great thing about brewing is that if you screw up one style, it just becomes another style!

Old 11-12-2009, 12:05 AM   #6
bankerbrewer
Recipes 

thank u guys. it was supposed to be a bass clone. it is not my first all grain - but it is my first in about 11 years! I batch sparged and figured my efficiency would be low, so I used a little extra pale malt in the grain bill.

I am wrong too. just checked my notes. I used:
one ounce fuggles - 4.9%
one ounce Kent Goldings at 4.2%
to the guy who mentioned the dryness - what temp fosters a higher malt flavor? I love malty brews!

Old 11-12-2009, 01:42 AM   #7
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 39

If you like malty brews, try replacing the Briess 2 row with Maris Otter, the crystal 40 with crystal 55, and do a thick mash (1 qt water per lb grain) at 152 - 153F. I'd also cut the crystal down to 8 - 12 oz.

-a.

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Old 11-12-2009, 01:55 AM   #8
hercher
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 6

If it is too bitter for style, call it something else.

I don't see anything wrong with your style. I personally (a matter of taste) would not have added sugar -- I prefer to stick to malt. I suspect your Northern Brewer had a higher AA, but even so, you should be fine.

ajf's suggestion for a maltier brew are on the mark. Again, I would leave the sugar out because all that really does is increase your alcohol and thin the beer out somewhat. Light brown sugar isn't going to add the much flavor, and in my opinion, isn't true to style. I might also keep the 40L crystal, but perhaps add a little Victory malt.

Primary: Amber Ale. :(
Seconary: Don't use one, generally
Kegged: Stein beer
Planned: Saison, pale ale, brown ale

"For a quart of ale is a dish for a king." - Shakespeare

Old 11-12-2009, 05:05 PM   #9
bankerbrewer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf View Post
If you like malty brews, try replacing the Briess 2 row with Maris Otter, the crystal 40 with crystal 55, and do a thick mash (1 qt water per lb grain) at 152 - 153F. I'd also cut the crystal down to 8 - 12 oz.

-a.
I will most definitely do that! I have heard rave reviews about maris otter. I appreciate the tip.

Quick Reply