Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Chance to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Too much carapils? what happens?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2011, 10:32 PM   #1
SRFeldman79
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Too much carapils? what happens?

I just ordered a homemade recipe from AustinHomebrew. Accidentally got 1.5 lbs of Carapils in the recipe bag, instead of 0.5, and noticed it too late to correct it.

I am tempted to just go ahead and use the recipe, but does anyone know what happens with too much carapils? Weird flavors? extra graininess? Heads that never settle? I think you're supposed to limit carapils to 5% and i'm looking at roughly 13.5%

- The Boozy Beggar

www.boozybeggar.com
boozybeggar@gmail.com
Twitter: BoozyBeggarChi
www.facebook.com/theboozybeggar

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2011, 10:45 PM   #2
dwarven_stout
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 6

It'll probably be a bit less fermentable. You could probably correct for it by mashing a couple degrees lower. I'm no expert, though.. never tried making a beer with too much carapils. If you're really worried about it, you could just order the same recipe again sans carapils and make 10 gallons with a friend. :P

"I can't believe how many people think Air Lock is pronounced Hydrometer." -BigKahuna
"If you gave me a beer with placenta in it without telling me I would kick you in the nuts." -ODaniel
"We be in a big hurry for dope beer with much alcamahol and flavor, quality, balance, and aroma don't matter. We just wantz to be druck, u know?" -Yooper

Old 07-09-2011, 11:15 PM   #3
NorthBay
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRFeldman79 View Post
I just ordered a homemade recipe from AustinHomebrew. Accidentally got 1.5 lbs of Carapils in the recipe bag, instead of 0.5, and noticed it too late to correct it.

I am tempted to just go ahead and use the recipe, but does anyone know what happens with too much carapils? Weird flavors? extra graininess? Heads that never settle? I think you're supposed to limit carapils to 5% and i'm looking at roughly 13.5%
Is there some reason why you have to use the entire 1.5bls rather than holding back 1lb for another brew day?

Old 07-09-2011, 11:15 PM   #4
dwarven_stout
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthBay View Post
Is there some reason why you have to use the entire 1.5bls rather than holding back 1lb for another brew day?
Probably had it come premilled and mixed together.

"I can't believe how many people think Air Lock is pronounced Hydrometer." -BigKahuna
"If you gave me a beer with placenta in it without telling me I would kick you in the nuts." -ODaniel
"We be in a big hurry for dope beer with much alcamahol and flavor, quality, balance, and aroma don't matter. We just wantz to be druck, u know?" -Yooper

Old 07-09-2011, 11:35 PM   #5
SRFeldman79
Recipes 

Yeah, AustinHomebrew is so rad they assemble your stuff in recipe bags if you indicate such. I did, not realizing I'd made the error of 1.5 carapils instead 0.5 carapils. So basically, it's already in the bag with my pilsner and rye malts.

- The Boozy Beggar

www.boozybeggar.com
boozybeggar@gmail.com

Old 07-09-2011, 11:38 PM   #6
SRFeldman79
Recipes 

I was thinking of mashing lower. I usually mash at 158, mostly out of habit, since I'm no expert on mashing levels (I do partial/mini-mash beers, so I'm not as concerned about efficiency as you all-grain guys). I could do the mash at 154 and hope that compensates.

Love the buy the same recipe without carapils and make 10 gallons idea, but don't have the necessary space for brewing 10 in my apartment. Could of course combined the orders, thoroughly mix them together, and then split it back in half.

- The Boozy Beggar

www.boozybeggar.com
boozybeggar@gmail.com

Old 07-10-2011, 12:04 AM   #7
Celticway
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRFeldman79
I was thinking of mashing lower. I usually mash at 158, mostly out of habit, since I'm no expert on mashing levels (I do partial/mini-mash beers, so I'm not as concerned about efficiency as you all-grain guys). I could do the mash at 154 and hope that compensates.

Love the buy the same recipe without carapils and make 10 gallons idea, but don't have the necessary space for brewing 10 in my apartment. Could of course combined the orders, thoroughly mix them together, and then split it back in half.
158 is too high bud. Try 152-154. Although This will not help to convert the Cara-pils.

Old 07-10-2011, 12:11 AM   #8
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 16

You can use a vial of White Labs Ultra-Ferm in the mash (I'd add it about halfway through) to break up some of the unfermentable dextrins into fermentable sugars. If you don't have any or can't find it, Beano will do in a pinch, but I don't know what temperature it works at best. Whatever enzyme you decide on, use it pre-boil, otherwise it'll keep in working and leave you with a very thin beer.

Kegged: Fat Man Porter w/ 1469, Fat Man Porter w/ 005, Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong, Dark Mild

Old 07-10-2011, 12:14 AM   #9
NorthBay
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwarven_stout View Post
Probably had it come premilled and mixed together.

Ah...that would explain it.

Old 07-10-2011, 12:17 AM   #10
NorthBay
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRFeldman79 View Post
Yeah, AustinHomebrew is so rad they assemble your stuff in recipe bags if you indicate such. I did, not realizing I'd made the error of 1.5 carapils instead 0.5 carapils. So basically, it's already in the bag with my pilsner and rye malts.
Thanks. Haven't ever bought a kit from them. Didn't realize the grains came pre-mixed.

Quick Reply