Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   Recipes/Ingredients (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/)
-   -   Is toffee in the boil a recipe for disaster? (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/toffee-boil-recipe-disaster-377594/)

BudzAndSudz 12-31-2012 05:11 PM

Is toffee in the boil a recipe for disaster?
 
Seems like it would be an incredible flavor as a sugar addition in the boil, but I know it's almost half butter in a good recipe. Is that quantity of lipids in the boil going to completely ruin the beer?

Edit: sorry for the double post. On my phone, and it hates me.

daksin 12-31-2012 10:09 PM

You'll likely damage head formation/retention but apart from that you're not likely to do any real harm. My chocolate stout has never gotten any complaints about head retention from the folks who have tried it, mostly because it's too delicious to complain about. I say go for it.

JonM 12-31-2012 10:14 PM

Sounds tasty! I bet you can also get toffee-like flavors from dark crystal malts or kettle caramelization and avoid the problems that come from the lipids.

y6y6y6 01-01-2013 12:18 AM

I've used about 8 oz of toffee in a brown ale. Didn't seem to effect head retention. But I couldn't taste the difference in the beer either. If I had it to do over I'd likely just use brown sugar.

BudzAndSudz 01-01-2013 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 4733134)
Sounds tasty! I bet you can also get toffee-like flavors from dark crystal malts or kettle caramelization and avoid the problems that come from the lipids.

Well the dark malts aren't an option because I'm brewing it for a Belgian style-only competition and it's going to be a treacle-toffee-trippel so it needs to stay light(ish). I have an electric boil kettle also so kettle carmelization is tough to come by as well.


Quote:

Originally Posted by y6y6y6 (Post 4733460)
I've used about 8 oz of toffee in a brown ale. Didn't seem to effect head retention. But I couldn't taste the difference in the beer either. If I had it to do over I'd likely just use brown sugar.

How much did you use, just out of curiosity? Maybe I will just use brown sugar and say it's toffee.....

y6y6y6 01-01-2013 09:43 PM

8 oz

daksin 01-02-2013 08:09 AM

Brown sugar is just molasses and white sugar. It's really not going to give you anything resembling a toffee-like flavor in your beer.

hautlle 01-02-2013 09:30 PM

If your color gets too much off you could enter it as a Specialty Belgian, unless you already have a beer for that category too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BudzAndSudz (Post 4733502)
Well the dark malts aren't an option because I'm brewing it for a Belgian style-only competition and it's going to be a treacle-toffee-trippel so it needs to stay light(ish). I have an electric boil kettle also so kettle carmelization is tough to come by as well.



All times are GMT. The time now is 10:58 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.