New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Toasted malt = awesome head?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2010, 03:00 PM   #1
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 188 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Default Toasted malt = awesome head?

Soperbrew was in town last night so he came over and we sampled a bunch of my beer, including several that I had not yet tapped into. Well my Bohemian pilsner had a head on it that was rich and creamy and rock steady.

I've yet to brew a Bo Pils that I've felt truely hits the style. They typically taste more German, and lack the grainy/bready flavor. Well in my lastest attempt I thought I'd use 1 lb of home toasted pilsner malt (~45 min @ 325 F) and see it that would help (5 gal. batch). I also added 0.5 lbs of wheat to the 7 lbs of regular Pils malt. I often add 0.5 lbs of wheat to many of my brews, and never get a head like this. Soperbrew mentioned that he had made a beer with some home toasted malt and he said that one too had an amazing head.

Additional testing will be required, but I'm thinking this might just be a great way to boost head formation. Has anybody else experienced this?

Primary: Ger. Pils , OKZ (std Amer. lager), OKZ II (for base malt comparison), Saison
Brewing soon: light beer - yes, light beer, Saison
Recently kicked : ( Kolsch, IPA, Holiday Saison, Baltic porter,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2010, 04:13 PM   #2
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

I've only used home-toasted Maris Otter and didn't notice any major improvement...but that's MO and not Pils (i.e. lower protein).

I recently bought some Castle (Belgian) Pils and it has a great bready flavor and is great for real light colored brews imo. EDIT: I have been using a lot of Weyermann Bohemian Pils (I bought a 55# sack and am almost finished) and to me it does taste more 'German-malty' as opposed to bready.

Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Last edited by SpanishCastleAle; 03-26-2010 at 04:16 PM.

Old 03-27-2010, 05:10 AM   #3
Soperbrew
Who rated my beer?
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 10

What I experienced was that when I used to bottle my beers they often lacked in head & head retention. Then I made Dude's LWPA (which has home toasted malt in it) and the head was outstanding. Having said that, the recipe does call for some flaked wheat as well.

Old 03-27-2010, 07:32 AM   #4
Poindexter

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I have/ had been using ~4ounces of malted wheat to help out with head retention.

I threw 4ozs malted wheat in as usual with my first batch of Dude's LWPA and I had more head than I knew what to do with. I had head in the morning, piles and piles of head, all over the house. It was really good head too, not that weak sauce frat boy stuff.

Just saying, yes, me too.

Old 03-27-2010, 02:34 PM   #5
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I toasted some 2 row for a maibock about a year or so ago....didn't notice any difference in the foam from my typical beers.

Old 03-27-2010, 02:53 PM   #6
willynilly
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Head retention can have more to do with your brewing process than the actual ingredients. Read more here on how the process has a profound impact on your head retention.

http://www.brewersfriend.com/2009/12/19/beer-head-retention/

Quick Reply