Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Three Philosophers clone help

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2010, 03:48 PM   #1
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Three Philosophers clone help

So I'm wanting to brew up a Three Philosophers clone based on the guidelines given in Brew Like A Monk:

Belgian Pale 62%
Belgian Munich 16%
Flaked Wheat 6%
Special 'B' 4%
CaraMunich 3%
CaraVienne 2%
Sucrose 7% (syrup)

Northern Brewer 7.5 AA, 75 min, 30-35 IBU

O.G. 1.089

Wyeast 3787

Working with BrewTarget, I eventually settled in on this:
11.25 lb Belgian Pale = 63.6%
2.75 lb Munich Malt = 15.5%
1 lb Flaked Wheat = 5.6%
10 oz Special 'B' = 3.5%
8 oz CaraMunich = 2.8%
5 oz CaraVienne = 1.8%
1.25 lb Sucrose = 7.1%

1.5 oz Norther Brewer (9 AAU), 75 minutes, about 33 IBU
Wyeast 3787 Trappist High Gravity

F.G. = 1.021
ABV = 8.6%

I know some of the percentages are slightly off, but it's easier than doing fractions of an ounce here and there. Does this look good?

I need some help with the mash though. I'm thinking about 150 for 90 minutes, though I'm pretty sure it should dry out more - BeerAdvocate lists the ABV as 9.8%. Should I mash lower, say 145? I'm shooting for 1.33 qt/lb, and a 75 minute boil. Should I thicken that up, say 1.25 qt/lb?

Also, I will be doing this via Brew-in-a-Bag and No-Chill, so do I need to make any adjustments aside from the hop addition time?

Thanks in advance!

On-Deck: BierMuncher's OktoberFAST Ale; Bacon488's Mild

Primary: Quad

Kegged: Emmdub23's Belma Stout; Mosaic pilsner; Fir tip Maibock; Session IPA; Apple cider;

Bottled: Saison Americain; Tripel; Session Saison; Grodziskie; Belma/Strisselspalt Session Saison; Coffee Saison

Last edited by eulipion2; 08-16-2010 at 04:04 PM. Reason: added some more details

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2010, 06:13 PM   #2
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Okay, I double-checked Brew Like A Monk (my previous post was from notes I took so I wouldn't have to reference the book), and it says this:

OG 1.087
FG 1.020
IBU 30-35

Mash 154º, Boil 75 min

Trying to get a little bit closer to the 9.8% ABV, I bumped up my grains a little:
Belgian Pale 12 lb = 62.3%
Belgian Munich 3 lb = 15.6%
Flaked Wheat 19 oz = 6.2%
Special 'B' 12 oz = 3.9%
CaraMunich 10 oz = 3.2%
CaraVienne 6 oz = 1.9%
Sucrose 21 oz = 6.8%

which gives me

O.G. = 1.095
F.G. = 1.023
ABV = 9.3
IBU = 31.5
SRM = 18.2
BU/GU = .33

I'm still concerned about mashing so high. It's been a while since I've tried this beer (I've been keeping them for cellaring!), and while I know it should finish a little sweet, 1.023 seems a little high. Thoughts?

Kegged: Emmdub23's Belma Stout; Mosaic pilsner; Fir tip Maibock; Session IPA; Apple cider;

Bottled: Saison Americain; Tripel; Session Saison; Grodziskie; Belma/Strisselspalt Session Saison; Coffee Saison

Old 01-20-2011, 10:48 PM   #3
Champurrado
Recipes 

This has been sitting there for a while - Saw your post and wondered if you made the Three Philosophers.

Thinking of brewing it.

Old 01-20-2011, 11:02 PM   #4
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Sadly no, I haven't brewed it yet. I've switched to Brew-In-A-Bag and No-Chill, and I want to get my process worked out with smaller (cheaper) before I attempt a beer as potentially expensive as this. That said, I think I've figured out the amounts for a five gallon recipe:

Quote:
Belgian Pale 12 lb = 192 oz = 61.9%
Belgian Munich 3 lb 2 oz = 50 oz = 16.1%
Flaked Wheat 1.188 lb = 19 oz = 6.1%
Special 'B' .75 lb = 12 oz = 3.9%
CaraMunich .5625 lb = 9 oz = 2.9% AKA Cara 45
CaraVienne .375 lb = 6 oz = 1.9% AKA Cara 20
Sucrose 1.375 = 22 oz = 7.1%
1.5 oz Northern Brewer pellet hops, 9 AAU, 75 min (55 min for no-chill)
Wyeast 3787 Trappist High Gravity yeast
1 12oz bottle Kriek beer (Ommegang uses Liefmann's I think), added in either tertiary or in the bottling bucket.

O.G. = 1.095
F.G. = 1.023
ABV = 9.3
IBU = 31.5
SRM = 18.2
BU/GU = .33
Calories = 354 per 12 oz

Mash: 154ºF, 9.57 gallons of water (BIAB)
Boil: 75 min

Add sugar after primary (3 days), transfer to secondary (3 weeks), transfer to tertiary, then bottle with dextrose and fresh yeast.
Gravities, ABV, etc. are for the beer BEFORE the kriek is added.

Old 01-20-2011, 11:04 PM   #5
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Oh, sorry, it's been a while since I last looked at the thread. Didn't realize I'd already put the recipe up...

Old 01-20-2011, 11:51 PM   #6
Champurrado
Recipes 

Very nice. Much obliged.

Old 01-21-2011, 12:22 AM   #7
gio
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

That seems like an awfully large amount of grains for brew-in-a-bag. How big is your bag and how big is your pot? I guess you must have at least a 10 gallon pot if you are boiling 9.57 gallons. If I were doing this, I'd convert it to a partial mash by replacing all but 2 lbs or so of the belgian pale with DME but that's just me.

Otherwise, the recipe looks great. Let us know how it turns out.

Why wait to add the sugar? And why not more sugar so you can hit your target ABV (which is about 10% if I remember correctly). I just made an Ommegang Abbey Ale (a very strong dubbel) and I used 2.5lbs of sugar in it to reach ~8.0% ABV.

I used Wyeast 1214 and had no problem hitting my target SG in only 3 days of fermentation. (starting was like 1.079. ending was 1.014).

I recommend culturing Ommegang's yeast. They have some good yeast that is great with high gravity beers. They use the same yeast in everything so I'd get it from their abbey ale instead of three philosophers just so whatever yeast the kriek uses doesn't interfere.

Primary 1: Oskar Blues Gordon Clone
Secondary 2: Pannepot Old Fishermans Ale Clone
Secondary 3: Pre-prohibition American Lager
Bottle Conditioning: Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier
Bottle Conditioning: Cherry Wheat
Bottle Conditioning: Rochefort 10 Clone
Drinking: Westvleteren 12 Clone

Old 01-21-2011, 12:40 AM   #8
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gio View Post
That seems like an awfully large amount of grains for brew-in-a-bag. How big is your bag and how big is your pot? I guess you must have at least a 10 gallon pot if you are boiling 9.57 gallons. If I were doing this, I'd convert it to a partial mash by replacing all but 2 lbs or so of the belgian pale with DME but that's just me.
I use a 17.5 gallon kettle with a bag that fits inside the strainer insert that came with the kettle. That way I don't have to worry about the grain bag ripping and spilling into the wort.

Quote:
Why wait to add the sugar? And why not more sugar so you can hit your target ABV (which is about 10% if I remember correctly). I just made an Ommegang Abbey Ale (a very strong dubbel) and I used 2.5lbs of sugar in it to reach ~8.0% ABV.
I forget where I read to do that, probably from Brew Like a Monk, but I think the reason is to allow the yeast to work without becoming stressed by higher gravity.

Quote:
I recommend culturing Ommegang's yeast. They have some good yeast that is great with high gravity beers. They use the same yeast in everything so I'd get it from their abbey ale instead of three philosophers just so whatever yeast the kriek uses doesn't interfere.
Smack packs are easier. I don't really have decent culturing equipment. I'm planning on swirling the kriek to get the yeast into the brew - I want it to get funkier as it ages. Not sure if that's what they do, or if they use a pasteurized kriek, but I like the funk.

Old 05-10-2011, 01:50 AM   #9
tbel
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I was wondering if anyone could tell me how this turned out? Was it close?
I'd love to brew this and may do a 1 gallon batch just to try it. I've never done that so I'll have to figure out how to scale it.

Old 05-13-2011, 12:05 AM   #10
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Sadly, as my brewing budget is a bit small right now, this one has been relegated to "sometime." If you do brew it, definitely post how it turns out.

Quick Reply