Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Thoughts on this imperial IPA recipe?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2010, 03:35 PM   #11
King of Cascade
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by permo View Post
A pound of aromatic is a little out of place for an IIPA, I would eliminate that entirely.

14# MO
1# munich
.50 C20
.25 C40
2 # dextrose

This is perfectly adequate, Mash at 147-149 for 90 minutes and DO NOT ADD YOUR SUGAR TO THE BOIL.

Let the primary fermentation start to finish up, then add your sugar, dissolved in water 1 pound at a time a few days between each addition. You should have no problem with this beer, attenuating if you follow these directions. I would certainly rehydrate two packets of nottingham and ferment between 65-69 degrees......I bet you can get it to finish below 1.020 if you add the sugar late.

Using this protocol I had a 1.095 IIPA end at 1.010.

I am also a huge fan of subbing honey, pound for pound, for dextrose in IPA's......there is something about floral hops and honey that are amazing together...underrated.

Wow…. this is some of the best advice I have ever heard on HBT. If the yeast has dextrose in the wort to start it will skip the growth phase and go right to eating. I wouldn’t wait till the end of fermentation but defiantly after the growth phase.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2010, 06:58 PM   #12
stubbornman
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Quote:
A pound of aromatic is a little out of place for an IIPA, I would eliminate that entirely.

14# MO
1# munich
.50 C20
.25 C40
2 # dextrose

This is perfectly adequate, Mash at 147-149 for 90 minutes and DO NOT ADD YOUR SUGAR TO THE BOIL.

Let the primary fermentation start to finish up, then add your sugar, dissolved in water 1 pound at a time a few days between each addition. You should have no problem with this beer, attenuating if you follow these directions. I would certainly rehydrate two packets of nottingham and ferment between 65-69 degrees......I bet you can get it to finish below 1.020 if you add the sugar late.

Using this protocol I had a 1.095 IIPA end at 1.010.

I am also a huge fan of subbing honey, pound for pound, for dextrose in IPA's......there is something about floral hops and honey that are amazing together...underrated.
Would you also add the honey after primary dies down, or to the last 10-15 minutes of the boil??

Old 05-20-2010, 07:04 PM   #13
permo
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts

You add the honey to the primary fermenter, the same way as the sugar. Personally I just dissolve the honey in hot water, cool it down and dump it in.

Old 05-20-2010, 07:06 PM   #14
stubbornman
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Quote:
You add the honey to the primary fermenter, the same way as the sugar. Personally I just dissolve the honey in hot water, cool it down and dump it in.
Interesting, do you feel adding honey (glucose and fructose) to the end of the boil has the same effects as adding dextrose?

Old 05-20-2010, 07:23 PM   #15
permo
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubbornman View Post
Interesting, do you feel adding honey (glucose and fructose) to the end of the boil has the same effects as adding dextrose?
Although I never add sugar to my boil, I feel that it would have the same effect. I always add my simple sugars after the propogation phase has completed and fermentation starts to slow, if only a little.

Once great thing about adding honey to the primary, is that you don't lose it's aroma and flavor.

Old 05-21-2010, 12:45 PM   #16
King of Cascade
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Although I never add sugar to my boil, I feel that it would have the same effect. I always add my simple sugars after the propogation phase has completed and fermentation starts to slow, if only a little.

Once great thing about adding honey to the primary, is that you don't lose it's aroma and flavor.
Interesting, do you heat the honey to pasteurize it before adding it to the fermenter?

Old 05-21-2010, 01:06 PM   #17
permo
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Cascade View Post
Interesting, do you heat the honey to pasteurize it before adding it to the fermenter?
no boiling, i get the water just hot enough to dissolve the honey.

Old 05-21-2010, 02:57 PM   #18
jgourd
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Great topic. I'm brewing an IIPA today and will try the corn sugar addition in the primary once fermentation slows a little. I figure I can add 0.75# corn sugar to maybe 2 to 2.5 cups hot water and drop in the primary. Should I stir a little? I think it's still safe to introduce a bit of O2 since there will be active fermentation still going on. What do you think?

Old 05-21-2010, 03:14 PM   #19
permo
Recipes 

B

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgourd View Post
Great topic. I'm brewing an IIPA today and will try the corn sugar addition in the primary once fermentation slows a little. I figure I can add 0.75# corn sugar to maybe 2 to 2.5 cups hot water and drop in the primary. Should I stir a little? I think it's still safe to introduce a bit of O2 since there will be active fermentation still going on. What do you think?
No need to stir, the yeast will find it.

Old 06-09-2010, 04:01 AM   #20
Strave19
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So here is a final version of what I'm going to brew... its toned down and simplified a lot from the original, but I think its going to be a delicious Extra IPA. Any final thoughts?

Amount Item Type % or IBU
12 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 85.71 %
1 lbs Munich Malt - 27L (27.0 SRM) Grain 7.14 %
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 3.57 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 3.57 %

Hops are basically equal parts Amarillo, Cascade, and Centennial
-FWH-60min
-40-min
-20-min
-10-min
-Dry
-----Each addition using .5oz of each resulting in ~82IBU and hopefully some good aroma and flavor (Might add a 5min addition...)

1 Pkgs S-05 Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.076 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 0.000 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.016 SG Measured Final Gravity: 0.000 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 7.84 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.00 %
Bitterness: 82.1 IBU
Est Color: 10.2 SRM

I'm thinking it will finish quite a bit drier with this yeast, probably more like 1.012 or 1.010 putting it at ~8.5%abv which is fine by me. Planning on mashing @ 152 and doing a couple of batch sparges @ ~170. Hopefully it will make for a crisp, slightly sweet and flavorful hoppy brew (If I dont screw it up too bad ). Feedback welcome, hopefully I can get it brewed thursday night!

Quick Reply