New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > thoughts on Deschutes Abyss

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2009, 03:17 AM   #1
kcinpdx
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default thoughts on Deschutes Abyss

On a whim I contacted the brewery for some ideas on where to start for a homebrew version of Abyss. Not even 24 hrs later I get a nice response thanking me for my interest, some ideas to get started and not to forget that Abyss is aged in Bourbon Oak barrels. Oh, and to let them know how it turns out.

Deschutes Brewery
Imperial Stout Clone

Specifics:

Recipe type: All grain
Batch size: 5 U.S. gallons
Original gravity: 1.100
Final gravity: 1.018
Boil time: 90 minutes
Fermentation temp: 65° F
Yeast type: English Ale

NW 2 row pale malt
Black malt and black barley
C 120, C 60
Malted Wheat
Roasted Barley
Victory or biscuit

Hops:
Millenium, Chinook

Temps, times and weights are the challenge. Happy Brewing!

Some might look at this and say, "well, that does not tell you a lot." I say, I am going to start tinkering in BeerTools and see what comes of it. I might not get as complex as Abyss, but I'll bet I come up with something drinkable.

Any thoughts on an initial direction?

Old 03-12-2009, 03:39 AM   #2
Wallygator
Recipes 

I contacted them about their Buzzsaw Brown. I got the same generic response with a recipe with no amounts. I was thinking of doing the exact thing you are, play around and see how it turns out.

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man, free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case my enemy is a varmint. And a varmint will never quit - ever. They're like the Viet Cong - Varmint Cong. So you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior fire power."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2009, 04:00 AM   #3
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 436 Times on 347 Posts
Likes Given: 15

My brown biscuit ale is tastes frighteningly close to Buzzsaw Brown. You're welcome to the recipe. It's a pretty simple PM.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 03-12-2009, 04:16 AM   #4
kcinpdx
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I thought it was pretty cool to send anything at all! I am going to mess with it a bit and see. The Buzzsaw Brown sounds good too - I like that one.

A bit off topic- I was at the new pub in Portland and had the Cinder Oak - Cinder cone red aged in oak. Amazing...

Old 03-12-2009, 03:40 PM   #5
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 436 Times on 347 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I like the Cinder Cone red, haven't had it oaked though.

I saw on Deschutes site that they're coming out with Mirror Mirror again any time now.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 03-12-2009, 05:10 PM   #6
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 2

What they gave you is extremely helpful if you couple it with other resources such as Designing Great Beers.

Victory/Biscuit is often paired with domestic 2-row in commercial breweries to get a Maris Otter flavor profile at a much lower cost. Use 3-5% in the grain bill. Or you can drop the Victory and just use Maris Otter for the home-brewed version if you have the budget!

Malted wheat is probably used at 5% of the grist for added body and head retention which can be lacking in such a big beer. Late hop additions or dry hopping will also help improve head retention.

For an imperial stout according to DGB you are usually looking at around 10% crystal and 10% roast malt for the grain bill. I'd go with 50% roasted barley and 50% black malt myself having tasted this beer... it's pretty aggressive on the black malt.

To get to that FG probably want to mash around 154*F and use a clean, attenuative yeast like WY1272 American Ale II around 68*F or WY1028 London Ale at 65*F. I'd pitch a gallon starter into 5 gallons, or maybe make a nice cream ale for summer and pitch on the cake. You want to do everything you can to ensure you don't get an under-attenuated beer when you are at 1.100 as a starting gravity.

Oh, and don't forget to add the licorice and the molasses!

One more thought... millennium is another member of the CTZ family (columbus/tomahawk/zeus) so any of those will sub.

You might want to ask them how they treat their water and what their water profile is like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Last edited by Saccharomyces; 03-12-2009 at 05:16 PM.
Johnnyhitch1 Likes This 
Old 03-12-2009, 06:55 PM   #7
kcinpdx
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Wow- thanks for all the advice - I actually own DGB so that should be a valuable guide. Yeah - can't forget the molasses and such - that will make a difference for sure. I cannot think of a more complex beer I've ever tasted. Should be fun.

Old 03-13-2009, 06:05 PM   #8
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

To the guy who got the overall for the Buzzsaw, can you post it? I love that beer.

Old 03-14-2009, 02:29 AM   #9
Wallygator
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnevoodoo View Post
To the guy who got the overall for the Buzzsaw, can you post it? I love that beer.
I will in a separate post.

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man, free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case my enemy is a varmint. And a varmint will never quit - ever. They're like the Viet Cong - Varmint Cong. So you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior fire power."

Old 04-19-2009, 05:15 PM   #10
Thor the Mighty
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Ive been playing with some brewing calculators and ive been thinking this is a good grain bill.

comments? suggestions? BMC?

14# Pale 2 row malt 1.8srm
3# Black Malt 65srm
2# Roasted English srm500
1# crystal 120L
1# crystal 60L
0.5# Carapils srm2.5
0.75# Wheat malt srm2
1# Black Barley srm525
1# Victory srm25

Total Grain: 24.50 LBS

Estimated SRM 89.4
at 100% eff. 1.164 OG
at 64% eff 1.100 OG

Havn't figured out the hop additions yet but yeah let me know what you think of the flavor profile on that. I'd probably throw in a stick of Brewer's licorice as well.

You finally made it home! Draped in the flag that you fell for. And so it goes, the ashes of the wake!

Quick Reply