Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Weekend to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Thoughts on this Cider???

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2006, 12:28 PM   #1
GABrewboy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Thoughts on this Cider???

Tell me how this sounds:

5 gallons of apple juice (Apple Orchard frozen concentrate 100% juice no preserves )
5 cans of pears in heavy juice ( blended till a thick liquid )
2 lbs of light brown sugar
1 lb of honey
2 lemons zested
English Cider Yeast (WLP775)

I took the brown sugar and honey and boiled it in about 1.5 gallons of water. Dumped the concentrated juice in the primary along with the blended up pears and then zested the 2 lemons. Once the honey and brown sugar were dissolved, dumped that into the primary. Then added another 4 gallons of water and pitched my yeast. This morning it is just a bubbling away!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2006, 12:51 PM   #2
usmcruz
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GABrewboy
Tell me how this sounds:

5 gallons of apple juice (Apple Orchard frozen concentrate 100% juice no preserves )
5 cans of pears in heavy juice ( blended till a thick liquid )
2 lbs of light brown sugar
1 lb of honey
2 lemons zested
English Cider Yeast (WLP775)

I took the brown sugar and honey and boiled it in about 1.5 gallons of water. Dumped the concentrated juice in the primary along with the blended up pears and then zested the 2 lemons. Once the honey and brown sugar were dissolved, dumped that into the primary. Then added another 4 gallons of water and pitched my yeast. This morning it is just a bubbling away!!!
the 2 pounds of brown sugar will definately excentuate the cider taste. Next time i would cut back a half a pound, although the citrus oils from the lemons might balance it out. Other than that it sounds like a good recipe, tell me how it turns out.

Old 01-05-2006, 01:15 PM   #3
GABrewboy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well that is what I was kind of thinking of the lemon zest/rind......so we will see what happens.....I figure I will take a taste test once it get's done fermentation and if it is too sweet I will pitch some champagne yeast to dry it out a little bit.

Old 01-05-2006, 01:20 PM   #4
usmcruz
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GABrewboy
Well that is what I was kind of thinking of the lemon zest/rind......so we will see what happens.....I figure I will take a taste test once it get's done fermentation and if it is too sweet I will pitch some champagne yeast to dry it out a little bit.

I use orange zest in my 7.2% alcohol amber ale, and the oils from the citrus hide the alcohol making it the easiest drinking ale ive ever made. Alcohol sneaks up on you though. cant go wrong with any kind of citrus zest. tell me how it turns out.

Old 01-05-2006, 01:49 PM   #5
GABrewboy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Will let you know how it turns out!!!

Old 01-05-2006, 03:23 PM   #6
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 128 Posts

Plan on a long ferment with all that extra sugar.

I've got a batch of spiced cider (just juice and spices) running. I'll rack most of it to a secondary today and then add two pounds of brown sugar to the last two gallons and let it burp.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Quick Reply