The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Though on Porter with carafa special as the only roasted grains

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2011, 07:23 PM   #1
PtotheL
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Though on Porter with carafa special as the only roasted grains

I'm planning on brewing a porter which will only use dehusked carafa as far as roasted grains go.

My goal there is to get as much coffee flavor (and maybe some chocoaltey flavor too) as possible out of the grain with as little dryness/astringency/acrid flavors as possible. Roast is ok, but it should be playing second role here.

I was thinking something along the line of:

78% Marris Otter (3.0SRM)
8% Cystal 80 (80.0SRM)
4% Caramunich (56.0SRM)

4% Dehusked Carafa Special I (337.0 SRM)
4% Dehusked Carafa Special II (412.0 SRM)
2% Dehusked Carafa Special III (525.0 SRM)

Did anyone tried something along that line ? What are your thoughts ?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2011, 04:03 PM   #2
Kayos
disclaimers are sissy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I have used Carafa for Porters before and no other roasts. I've even used it for oatmeal stouts. It's all personal. I have decided that Carafa is not for me. The flavor is just....well.....weird to me. Doesn't suit my palate I guess. Think of a dunkel without the yeast notes.

When I see a dark beer, I want a little bite of roasted barley or a chocolate malt flavor - I am not really a fan of blackened IPA's for this reason, too. If you want to smoothe it out, how about coffee malt and chocolate malts? If you want it dark you could add a bit of black patent for color adjustment.

Just my $0.02.

Primary #2: ESB
Big Blind: Pucker Bitter
Small Blind:
Tasty Remembrances: White 'N Nerdy, Dynamite Red (Hop bursted), APA, The Bonaduce (irish Red), runners stout, ridgeback brown,

from my big ass computer sitting on my floor

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply